In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which Rifle

Am looking for anew rifle in.22-250 or .220 Swift. Whats your all's opinion the two calibers? Robert

Comments

• CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have owned several 22-250's and have never had any problem acquiring brass or had any problems with the accuracy of this cartridge. It is only slightly behind the swift as far as velocity but that's only because the swift uses more powder. You will find fans in great numbers on both sides of the fence when it comes to these two excellent cartridges. Either choice will serve quite well on varmints/predators. Personally I favor the 250.

CC
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the swift. I like the speed if I need it,..and can load it down to 22-250 levels,.so I have the best of both worlds.
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both, like both. Both of mine are 1-14", so shoot the same bullet weights. Most folks seem to favor the 22-250 for slightly longer ranges, the Swift for slightly flatter trajectory and higher velocity. I slmost alternate shooting them... don't have a real preference between the two.

All other things being equal, its probably a rifle preference... which comes up better, feels best... things like that.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only own the 22-250. I don't own a chronograph so I only have an idea of the velocity but it shoots groups like this consistantly. Obviously, I am VERY happy with it!

22-250bestgroup.jpg
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the .220 Swift. It has the ability to go higher than the .22-250. That said you can shoot the barrel out of either. Both can be as accurate as far out as you can call the wind. Either though, will suffice for a hyper-velocity .22 cal rifle.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally prefer the Swift, mainly because I shot one alot growing up. I have one with a 1-12" twist that I sometimes shoot 60gr Nosler partitions out of at larger than varmit size critters if I get a shot of opportunity while varmit hunting. It will put down deer and feral hogs very well. The Swift is a little better with heavy bullets due to the powder capacity (although not my preference for a hunting round it will get it done).
    My advice is if you are a fairly serious handloader go with the one you like, but if you are buying factory ammo go with the 22-250. It's a no brainer due to the selection availible for the 22-250 vs the Swift.
    Most people are probably better off with the 22-250, and I've never known it to let anyone down. It's still about as fine a varmit round as there is after all these years................
    Good luck whatever you decide [^].