In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 m1 carbine load

dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
I just got 1000 bullets/brass and was wondering what type of powder the military uses? Can I get it? If not what kind should I use to get close to the military load. Also what primers should I use?

dgac

Comments

• Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a Good reloading manual..(and read it) You can also check online with bullet and powder manufacturers.

Follow the recipies to a "T"
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The military loading used WC 820 powder. It is available from www.gibrass.com in 8 lb. jugs. Very good stuff and also great in the 357 mag, 44 mag, etc. Roughly equivalent to H110.

I have used Winchester small rifle, CCI small rifle, and Wolf small rifle primers. All worked fine.

Note this is for rifle/carbine loads. From a revolver you will want pistol primers and perhaps a little faster powder.
  • Options
    ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded a bunch with 14 gr of Win 296, but found they were a tiny bit hot, and rather dirty. I'm going to try 12 gr of Alliant 2400 powder as soon as my schedule slows down a bit to see if I have a cleaner load. Have fun with this one, it's a blast to shoot.

Hope this helps,

Mike
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 13.8 grains of Hodgdon H110 with a 110g FMJ bullet and Winchester Small Rifle primers in LC brass with very good results.