In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.222 Magnum

Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
Is this brass hard to get? I am interested in a rifle in this caliber and would like to know.- Thanks

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike Fink,

Prior to the introduction of the .204 Ruger, it was getting pretty hard to find any in stock anywhere. Remington was producing it seasonally and it sold out immediately which should have sent a message to Remington but we know how incompetent their management was.

After the introduction of the .204 Ruger, Remington geared up with a run to keep the reloaders happy but it sold out overnight, mostly to those who refused to pay the inflated brass prices that Hornady was charging for the .204 Ruger brass. But, a couple of years later, things have settled down and Remington has new management with some brains so we have brass back in the pipeline. It's available through Midway and Graf & Sons that I know of, in lots of 20, 100 and 500 pieces.

By the way, .222 Remington Magnum is a cartridge not a caliber.

Best.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought. You may want to consider a .223 as an alternative to the Mag. Things have doubtless changed, but for about 5 years back in the '80's I tried to sell a .222 Mag. and couldn't raise any interest. The .223 is basically a short necked .222 Mag. and will do anything for you that the Mag. will. You sure wouldn't have to worry about finding .223 brass, or loaded ammo if it came to that, and if (when) the day to swap or sell comes along I think your chances might be better with the .223. That said, I sure wish I had my mag. back; heavy barreled Vixen. Sweet shooting little rifle.
  • Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you both. Funny you should mention a vixen, Rob. Just the rifle I was looking at. I really like to reload for everything I shoot, so the brass situation is important to me. The only time I have had to buy factory rounds was for a Finnwolf that somebody in Maine traded to me. Long story. You guys have a great Christmas and an even better new year. And Rob, Pooh wishes you a Merry Christmas too!- Mike
  • nambu1nambu1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a very fast, flat shooting round. You will be very happy with it. The brass is availible.