In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inside Neck Reamer

heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
I have some .308 brass that I have resized to reload 7mm-08 cartridges.

Dimensionally, the cartridge turned out good but the neck diameter measures a little on the large side compared to the 7mm-08 brass and I think I am going to need an inside neck reamer.

Who makes a good piece of equipment to do the inside neck reaming and what all equipment will I need?

Thanks.

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K&M Services
    5430 Salmon Run Rd.
    Dover, Pa.
    (717) 292-3175
    Be sure to ask for the doughnut remover pilot
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When sizing down, the neck will grow in thickness because it is now smaller in diameter. If the "dohnut" is not present inside the base of the neck, then you don't need to worry about inside neck reaming. This will be needed when the case has been sized and fired a few times and the brass begins to thicken even more as the brass flows foreward. You may not even see this take place at all as you have only gone from 30cal to 7mm.

But, K&M is the neck tool and inside reamers that I use. Ken will ship your order out that day even before he receives your payment. He is a top notch guy all the way.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heavyiron,

An alternative for you to consider is to outside neck turn as opposed to inside neck reaming. The problems of concentricity and sizing are less with o.d. turning when compared to i.d. reaming. Something to look into and read about.

This is from Varmint Al's pages. I don't agree with everything that he prints because he has some bad ideas (opinions) on certain important concepts but this part is O.K. and accurate.

http://www.varmintal.net/arelo.htm#Neck_Turning

Here's another article that is pretty good:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar88.htm

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago, I had a 308 rebarreled to 7mm-08. I just resized my 308 brass rather than buying new. I have a Forester case trimmer so I bought a neck reamer for it. The reamer goes in where the pilot goes. It is very simple. I also bought an outside neck turner for the Forester and that works great - once it is set up. I was really surprised how rough the necks were. Both work fine but I like the outside neck turning method. I ended up turning all the necks on all my brass since I had the time.

RH
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everybody for their information and comments. I really appreciate all the input and it has caused me to re-think my original question.

Originally, I was worried about the dimension of the outside neck diameter creating too tight of a fit with the chamber at the neck. I have read the articles provided here and have since measured the neck diameter against the SAAMI specs and it appears the neck is within tolerance by a hair.

But as these cartridges are reloaded that tolerance may disappear so I think I may treat myself to a Xmas present of an outside neck turner to maintain tolerance and true up the necks to increase accuracy.

Thanks again for the valuable information.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The best way to check to see if your necks are to tight, is to insert a bullet that you use into the case AFTER it has been fired, it should come out with very little resistance, I like to hear them pop when they slide out.
    If the bullet will not go back into the case with out pushing hard on them, then they are to tight, and will need to be turned down to fit your chamber......

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
    edited November -1
    Here is the best of both worlds,..the K&M neck turner mandrals can be purchased with the inside reamer integrally. You could either order the mandral just as a caliber specific mandral or for a few dollars more, can order it with the reamer mandral containing the cutting surface on the inside as well. SOOOooooo, when you turn the outside necks, the mandral with the reamer cutting end will also eliminate any inside deficiencies at the same time with NO EXTRA steps. I order mine that way, so I don't have to measure for the dohnut, the mandral takes care of it all in one step. If the dohnut appears, you simply use the same mandral without adjusting the cutting blade down to touch the neck on the outside.

Got Balistics?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just to add my two cents, I have a Lyman outside turner. I only use it now and then as needed. It gets the job done but is a bit tricky to set up I find, as too much pressure will just crush the necks. Not that it doesn't work, just perhaps I would try a different brand if doing it again.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been thinking about an outside neck turner for several years. Anyone use the RCBS with the autofeed? any comments on that one?
    edited November -1
    no experience with the RCBS, sorry. I do know the K&M can be set by the .0001" and is simple to use and switch calibers as well.

How much is the auto-feed model?

Got Balistics?
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is about $75.