In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44mag help

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I loaded some rounds for a friend who hunts whitetail with his S&W Mod 29 8 3/8". The 10rds I loaded were 240gr SJHP's over 22gr H110.
He grouped 4 in 3" at 40yds, the rest were well outside. 4 of the others were below the target elevation line. Cases showed NO signs of stress.

Any ideas? I'm going to change some factors to see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking....bump it up to 23gr H110 with a heavier crimp.

I'm at work right now. I'll try to get a picture of the target up when I get home.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off I would be trying the gun out for myself, or a third party, at least see if the ammo is at fault or maybe your friend is flinching under recoil?

Not trying to be a smartazz here. Just because your friend hunts with a .44 does not mean he is a good shot with it. One of my friends hunts with a .338 for whitetail. He missed 4 shots at bucks this past year. I think he is flinching, but I would not tell him that because he won't listen.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may want to try a harder crimp on these loads. I had a similar load that did not group well. I crimped them harder and now they are awesome!
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    23 gr of H110 is my standard load for 240 gr. I guess I have loaded and fired a couple of thousand. You can go to 24 gr, but I like the 23 gr load to help case life.
  • 41magdan41magdan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you load with H-110, it is required that a heavy and consistant crimp is used. Accuracy will suffer, not to mention the inconsistant speeds the same load can deliver. Also are you using a CCI 350 primer? Highly recomended for H-110. My 44 last time I took it out gave me 5 shot groups that were touching, at 25yds. One hole group, out of a Dan Wesson with a 7in ported barrel. 23gr. of H110. Like stated previously, you have to figure if it is the load, the shooter or the gun? I have met people on the range that can't hit the target. So they think it is the guns fault. They have asked me to check and I shoot bullseyes with the same pistol. So you might want to check them yourself. Hope the info helps, Dan
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of advice.

Thanks alot guys!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can bump the load up to 26 grains of H110, but that is the maximum. I use this load in both my Super Redhawk and Deerfield Carbine. Good accuracy and penetration with no signs of high pressure. [:D][:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bet is anticipation of recoil and relaxing the wrist.

Have someone else shoot the load that has pistol experience.

You do know that loading for another person is BAD?
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    This is actually kind of ironic.

I shoot, regularly, with several friends. I shoot a 44 Magnum and a 357 Magnum. They are simply amazed at how accurate that I am with their 45 auto's, 40 auto's, and 9 mm auto's......

I keep telling them....try a couple cylinders of the 44 magnum...it takes ALL the jump out of you when shooting something else.

Try it....it works!
  • OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    <First off I would be trying the gun out for myself, or a third party, at least see if the ammo is at fault or maybe your friend is flinching under recoil?>

My first thought as well. If they all sound normal & some are hitting the dirt in front of the target a flinch is a likely culprit. Try this- you load the gun for him. Leave two empty cases in it. You'll find out if he's flinching, I guarantee it. That is exactly how I learned years ago. I still short load myself sometimes just to check.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crimp it good. At 22 gr., I wouldn't load it any hotter for a pistol. 24 is about the max for the 44 and that's for a rifle. I personally use 23.8, 240 gr JHP, and Federal Magnum Pistol primers for my rifle. I really like the H-110 for this round.