In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bowling Pin load for .45ACP.

7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
I am going to be doing some Bowling Pin shooting here amongst some friends and then maybe on up to some matches. I am shooting a EAA Witness Target, Ported. I am looking for some loads to either start with or some that have tried and proven themselves in the ranks.

Seen the least, feared the most!!!

Comments

• kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about any IPSC "Major" load using a truncated-cone or SWC bullet should suffice nicely. Years ago, I settled on a hard-cast 225 gr TC in my .45 ACPs for IPSC, IDPA, pins, steel plate, etc. and have never found it lacking.

Bill
  • SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd try some 230 grn. fmj behind 4 grains of Clay's. Low recoil & clean!
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    any swc or hp load that you can handle is best, stay away from fmj's for pins, if you catch the sides of the pin fmj's will glance off, while the other 2 will catch

my typical time for 5 pins {3 down 2 elevated} is 3.2 seconds, from the gun at a 45 degree angle on the rail, i often get them in under 2 with 185 swc's 4.5 grains of clays
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't help this weekend, but if you can find the Speer .451 dia.JHP, #4477. It really has a huge HP that really bites the pins. Have fun!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy"