In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 798

FN798FN798 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I have recently purchased a remington 798 in 308. People have talked about fit and finish and the laminated stock. I picked up the display where I bought it at Academy Sports and outdoors and the action was as smooth as glass. When I was going to purchase it they pulled one from back stock and it was a little rougher so I made them give me the display and it has been great. If you are buying a gun and it has a laminated stock on it why should you expect a turkish walnut stock like some people have complained about?? Academy is selling these rifles for only 399.99, you cannot touch a 308 commercial mauser for that. Not a ruger or CZ 550. So people need to stop comparing those as well. I mounted a zeiss conquest on top of mine and it is a tack driver. If I want I may stick a boyds walnut stock on it to make it look a little better. This rifle is a deal and make them give you the display that everyone has worked the action on if you are not happy with the gun they bring you.

Comments

• WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are made by Zastava in Yugoslavia.
    They are excellent guns.
    They use to mark these Interarms Mark X about 15 years ago but Remington has contracted to exclusively be the US distributor with their name added.
    Funny how Remington now admits the Mauser 98 is the finest bolt action made now that they have their name on it.

That really is a great price for that much gun.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • FN798FN798 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad someone else has something positive to say. I was always a shooter of the Enfield no4 mk2, but I really do enjoy the mauser 98 action. I was always told it was the finest, strongest action made. I was wondering how since it had the remington name, even know it was imported by zastava who has been in business since 1853, it instantly became trash in some peoples eyes. And that is a good price I priced the same rifle in the same town at two different shops for over 500.00. It was nice to be able to throw that extra cash toward the scope.
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FN,

Where is Academy?

399?

Too good to be true.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the industry media, the metal is imported and put into a Rutland laminate stock. Remington raised the price about 75% when they put their logo on it. Several guys bought up the last of the older guns and are selling parts for a good margin.
    edited November -1
    The one I purchased has the remington name on it and is
    listed as a remington 798. look up the academysports.com
    web site to get a location. All that I know is that regionally
    the five stores are all in central alabama. I checked the same
    gun at two other sporting goods suppliers and both were over 529.00
    for the same gun.
    edited November -1
    I just heard that Academy is also in florida, louisiana, arkansas, and I think georgia. they are basically southeast but are growing all the time. Check it out it is worth it.