In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.338 RUM reloading question

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
I just read a post on the experts forum and wanted to throw it out over here. The poster said he had read or heard that when reloading magnum rounds you should use loads that are near max or loads that nearly fill the case. I have been using 80 grains of 4831 pushing 200 grain Nosler BT's and Hornady 200 grain Interlocks with good accuracy. This is no where near max. Am I messing up? The case is less than 3/4 full of powder with 80 grains. What would the ramifications be? Any damage to the gun at all?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in the least. As long as you are within a safe pressure range and are getting the accuracy you want, you are fine.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don,

No, you're not messing up. You are simply running your loads at the lower end of the pressure scale while still getting good accuracy by your standards. There's nothing wrong with this at all.

The statements similar to what were made on the other forum are based on efficiency, consistancy and accuracy. A full case of an appropriate powder will be more consistant when burning because the volume and position of the powder are fairly exact and repeatable. This is all predicated on the appropriate powder being used for the bullet and the case.

The less powder in the case, the more potential for the position of that powder to change shot to shot, usually giving inconsistant results. You won't damage your rifle with the load that you specify.

The 'damage' aluded to by that remark stems from having a case with less than 1/2 of the volume of powder occupy the bottom of the length of the case. The primer jet ignites the greater surface area of the exposed powder and can create what is called S.E.E. or Secondary Explosive Effect. Instead of the powder burning from the bottom cylinder of the case forward in a controlled manner, it ignites the greater surface area and creates a greater pressure, faster.

This effect as well as the Secondary Pressure Curve Effect are being studied. Another anomaly called Reflected Secondary Pressure is getting a lot of interest also.

Best.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies guys. This is very insightful information. I am going to stick with my load for hunting here on the East coast. One of these days I want to head out west and will probably work up some hotter loads for elk.