In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

vertical stringing revisited

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Previous suggestions were that my hold was the the most likely culpert for the 3/8" wide but long vertical group using 55 Nosler BT's in my 15" TC Encore.

This is what I did;
I loaded some more 55's using 41.5GR of IMR 4895, five had Remington primers five had Winchester primers.

My standard load is a 70 Nosler match over 38GR of IMR 4895. It is a proven tack driver in this pistol.

I used my new rest made from a screw type car jack being careful to hold the pistol the same for every shot. MRBRUCE gave me the jack, i had the base here that I welded onto it. It works great!

The standard load printed a round group of 1 1/2" dead center on the target. The MV is an average of 2750.

The 55 grain BT's shot a very narrow group, again! the 10 shot group was over 3" long! MV was a touch over 3,000 FPS with a 21 SD It seems it is the load/powder/primer combo that is the issue in this case. Not the nut behind the trigger.

I think I'll try some ball powders with this bullet, although I HATE the violent muzzle flash from the ball powders in this short barrel.

Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I think I would give Varget a try, or some RL-15 that you have, and I would also post a photo of that jack thing mrbruce gave you [:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    I think I would give Varget a try, or some RL-15 that you have, and I would also post a photo of that jack thing mrbruce gave you [:D]

Bu golly...as soon as I get her painted up I take a picture to share!