In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm saum

Finally bought one. Now, I'm asking what some have used for powders in this fine caliber.

I have: H4831, MagPro, H4350

The previous owner used Hybrid 100V with good success with 162gr Amax.

I thought of trying, 100V, Winchester 780, R17 or R19(what the Hornady manual likes) or even the the new Alliant 4000MR.

I plan on finding a load with a 150gr or heavier bullet for hunting. I need to order some powder for other uses, just getting ideas to start with.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The weather finally allowed me to run some reloads through my factory 7mm Saum over the cronograph.
    I had broke the barrel in enough to get it to clean up pretty good in only 30 rounds, so I loaded 25 rounds, 5 each from 56.0 to 61.0 and I had already ran tests for pressure while I was breaking it in, and was able to get up to 62.0 with just a tiny hint of pressure signs.
    Results are shown below, and I think I'll keep this one as it's shoots better than any factory rifle I've shot in a while.
    It looks like the 61.0 load wants to go higher, but I have no need for speed so I'll recheck the 59.0, and tweak it from there.

w7g1sg.jpg

w7czcz.jpg

w7dbmd.jpg

w7eqns.jpg
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a keeper. Which gun did you get? -- That's a good round that should be more popular than it is. Reminds me of my 280 Ackley Improved as far as performance goes & with 140 gr bullets in both is just about a ballistic twin to the Winchester 270 WSM.I've got a friend who has a Remington SS BDL sporter weight in 7mm SAUM and it shoots well too. I like it better than the 280 Ackley just because you don't have to screw around fire forming brass........good luck & keep us posted........best...............
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by temblor
    Looks like a keeper. Which gun did you get? -- That's a good round that should be more popular than it is. Reminds me of my 280 Ackley Improved as far as performance goes & with 140 gr bullets in both is just about a ballistic twin to the Winchester 270 WSM.I've got a friend who has a Remington SS BDL sporter weight in 7mm SAUM and it shoots well too. I like it better than the 280 Ackley just because you don't have to screw around fire forming brass........good luck & keep us posted........best...............

Temblor,
    It was a 700BDL S/S. I put it in a Laminated stock with pillars, and the barrel is fully floating, and don't seem to need any foreend pressure. Water capacity is close to the 280 AI.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the load info. I've got a Sendero to start working on when I can get some nice glass for it. If you are getting .452 with the BDL, I wonder what the Sendero might be capable of[:p]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice pics, thanks for info.