In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm saum

Finally bought one. Now, I'm asking what some have used for powders in this fine caliber.

I have: H4831, MagPro, H4350

The previous owner used Hybrid 100V with good success with 162gr Amax.

I thought of trying, 100V, Winchester 780, R17 or R19(what the Hornady manual likes) or even the the new Alliant 4000MR.

I plan on finding a load with a 150gr or heavier bullet for hunting. I need to order some powder for other uses, just getting ideas to start with.

Thanks

Comments

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The weather finally allowed me to run some reloads through my factory 7mm Saum over the cronograph.
    I had broke the barrel in enough to get it to clean up pretty good in only 30 rounds, so I loaded 25 rounds, 5 each from 56.0 to 61.0 and I had already ran tests for pressure while I was breaking it in, and was able to get up to 62.0 with just a tiny hint of pressure signs.
    Results are shown below, and I think I'll keep this one as it's shoots better than any factory rifle I've shot in a while.
    It looks like the 61.0 load wants to go higher, but I have no need for speed so I'll recheck the 59.0, and tweak it from there.

w7g1sg.jpg

w7czcz.jpg

w7dbmd.jpg

w7eqns.jpg
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a keeper. Which gun did you get? -- That's a good round that should be more popular than it is. Reminds me of my 280 Ackley Improved as far as performance goes & with 140 gr bullets in both is just about a ballistic twin to the Winchester 270 WSM.I've got a friend who has a Remington SS BDL sporter weight in 7mm SAUM and it shoots well too. I like it better than the 280 Ackley just because you don't have to screw around fire forming brass........good luck & keep us posted........best...............
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by temblor
    Looks like a keeper. Which gun did you get? -- That's a good round that should be more popular than it is. Reminds me of my 280 Ackley Improved as far as performance goes & with 140 gr bullets in both is just about a ballistic twin to the Winchester 270 WSM.I've got a friend who has a Remington SS BDL sporter weight in 7mm SAUM and it shoots well too. I like it better than the 280 Ackley just because you don't have to screw around fire forming brass........good luck & keep us posted........best...............

Temblor,
    It was a 700BDL S/S. I put it in a Laminated stock with pillars, and the barrel is fully floating, and don't seem to need any foreend pressure. Water capacity is close to the 280 AI.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the load info. I've got a Sendero to start working on when I can get some nice glass for it. If you are getting .452 with the BDL, I wonder what the Sendero might be capable of[:p]
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice pics, thanks for info.