In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is it worth reforming 348 win to 8mm lebel?

non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
I see huntingtons lists a rcbs die for reforming 348 win to 8mm lebel (8x50R french lebel), but as far as I can tell 348 winchester isn't that much more common? Was this die designed many years ago when (I assume) 348 was more common or is there something I'm missing??

I was thinking of getting this die, but after looking at it, it seems that graf.com has the right brass and its even less than the 348 brass [:0]
Does this make any sense [?]

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to long back on flea bay a guy was selling Lebel reasonable right before they quit brass. He had 6.5 Jap and others also. I checked but do not have his contact info. Doesn't Norma still list it. Midwayusa.com has only loaded 348 at $3 a round. Yes it makes sense to me. A gun with no ammo is a poor club.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making 8mm Lebel from 348's is a slam dunk. Just squish and trim, then fire form the case. The rims are a little undersize. Biggest hang-up is finding the 348's.
  • non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Not to long back on flea bay a guy was selling Lebel reasonable right before they quit brass. He had 6.5 Jap and others also. I checked but do not have his contact info. Doesn't Norma still list it. Midwayusa.com has only loaded 348 at $3 a round. Yes it makes sense to me.

Yes I seen that too, but thats not really an issue...
    Don't know if norma has it, do they have a website? Midway doesn't have brass for either 348 win or 8mm lebel. Graf has it for both, but the actual lebel is cheaper, don't understand why but thats how it is.
    Is the win case better made? or what might be the reason for this difference??
    Currently I'm think just buy the lebel (or already reformed brass) so I don't have to deal with that part of it myself [^]

"A gun with no ammo is a poor club."
    Exactly [:D][;)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just checked www.norma.cc found by searching "norma" They don't list it. A lot of brass isn't listed anymore. Some are still listed as ammo. I know that I have picked a few once fired Norma that had green sealed primers. Yea I'd just get some brass from your source.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Just sell me your 348 brass & take the $ and buy your brass.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    www.grafs.com

They make new, boxer primed brass, as you noted. Very good stuff, too. Unless you can get the 348 cheap I wouldn't bother.

Incidentally, the form die- I don't see the point. It isn't such a radical case alteration that a regular 8mm Lebel sizing die shouldn't handle it. Though the 'double shoulder' will only form on initial firing.
  • non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Just sell me your 348 brass & take the $ and buy your brass.

I don't have any 348 [xx(] never did [:D]

If your looking for 348 check out the link jonk gave.