In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much is too Much

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
I just tried some reloads for my 6.5 Rem Mag. The brass was brand new. I loaded 47.0 grains of IMR4320 behind a Berger 130 gr. VLD bullet, which was seated to a depth of 3.110". Yes, I had to load as a single shot, as I'm shooting a Remington 673. I measured the fired cases, and I am getting .005" stretch in length, going from 3.164" to 3.169", and .004" stretch above the belt, going from .506" to .510". Is that excessive stretch or not? Grouping was 1.25" on 3 rounds, and the 4th flew out to 1.75", or it may have been me too, because I was in kind of a hurry, and the gun was stone cold out of the cabinet. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The brass is now fit to your chamber. The growth seems fine to me. When you fire it for the second time the base strech should be about zero.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    new brass is undersized and will change during the first firing. Check the length growth on the 2nd firing and see if it doesn't go down. Now .004" growth in dia at the expansion ring is normal. I measured .004" growth on some win 338 win brass today after fireforming. It also pushed the shoulder fwd more than .020" to match the chamber according to the headspace tool.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    when reloading this brass, back your sizing die out a 1/2 turn. the next firing shouldn't strech at all.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Everybody. This forum is a never ending learning experience. Thank God for the Internet.