In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Super Sweet.............."Little Sharps"

bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got myself a Charles Daly "Little Sharps" in caliber 38-55. Smooth action and beautiful finish. Surprisingly light. I need to get some ammo and do some sighting-in. Can't wait.
JM[^]

Comments

• Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I'm looking forward to a range report, keep us posted, I have been looking at those
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tang mounted peep sight is adjustable for elevation only. Windage by moving the front sight. They make an "Old Time" long scope setup for it but it is fairly expensive. Looks pretty neat though. My loading supplies won't get here until Monday so I can't shoot it until next Wednesday or so. I'll report again after I shoot it.
    JM[:D]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .....and some pics, please!
    edited November -1
    I don't know how to post pics on this site.

Nice attention to detail. They even have a set screw to loosen the front sight dovetail to make adjustment easier. Stock is finished nicely. It even has some fiddleback on the buttstock. I'll try to figure out how to post some pics.
    JM
    edited November -1
    Posting pics appears to be a pain-in-the-*. Email me and I'll send some to you.
    JM[:)]
    edited November -1
    JM, You have no contact info in your profile. If you have a photobucket (or similar) account, you can C&P from there. Or you can email me at jnewcomb5@twcny.rr.com and I'll post it here for you.
    edited November -1
    Pics sent,Thx,
    JM
    edited November -1
    Here you go, bgjohn! Looks like it would be a blast to shoot.

MVC-003F1.jpg

MVC-004F1.jpg

MVC-005F1.jpg

MVC-002F1.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg
    edited November -1
    The pics are kind'a dark but you can get an idea of how it looks.
    JM[:)]
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bgjohn,

If you don't want to wait for your loading stuff, you can always buy a box or two of factory 38-55 to shoot.

CC
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CryptoChief
    bgjohn,

If you don't want to wait for your loading stuff, you can always buy a box or two of factory 38-55 to shoot.

CC

I don't know of a local source for this caliber. Midway has it but I might as well wait for my dies and stuff.
    JM
    edited November -1
    I just found out they will be importing these in other calibers including 22 Hornet and 218 Bee. That sounds really neat in this rifle. I haven't even shot this yet and I already want another one! poop!
    JM
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i looked at these at the last harrisburg show, one in 38-55 was 970.00. very light,easy to look at,i think it would make a nice light carry rifle for deer size animals or smaller. but i already bought a win. 1885 SR carbine ltd in 38-55 with 16.5 inch barrel that can be loaded a little hotter. i may look at one in 22 hornet. eastbank.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    bgjohn, i use 375 winchester cases in my 38-55,they are just a pinch shorter but are made stronger than regular 38-55,s. and with a single shot you are not limited to the same OAL as lever action rifles. eastbank.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    bgjohn, i use 375 winchester cases in my 38-55,they are just a pinch shorter but are made stronger than regular 38-55,s. and with a single shot you are not limited to the same OAL as lever action rifles. eastbank.

I will keep that in mind. I have 50 Winchester cases on their way. That stuff should get here this afternoon. I don't load max loads anyway, cases should last a long time.
    JM
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you plan on using it mostly for hunting, don't bash the front sight around for windage, splurge on a serious rear sight. Vernier elevation and Soule windage will be a lot easier to live with. For that matter, a globe front will help on well defined targets.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Unless you plan on using it mostly for hunting, don't bash the front sight around for windage, splurge on a serious rear sight. Vernier elevation and Soule windage will be a lot easier to live with. For that matter, a globe front will help on well defined targets.

Yeah, those are very nice. I have one on my 45/70 rolling block rifle. They are not cheap.
    JM
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bgjohn,

Found 38-55 cowboy action factory loads at Gander Mt. Other than that, I agree that they are not the easiest to find. Enjoy.

CC
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    I'm looking forward to a range report, keep us posted, I have been looking at those

It doesn't look like I'll be shooting it this week. I'm having problems with the loaded rounds. They won't chamber in this gun. I'm trying to use Cast Performance lead bullets. They are made for loading in 38-55's. They measure .379 at the copper gas check. They swell the new Winchester cases the length of the bullet. The cases chamber just fine before seating a bullet. I need to shoot .375-.376 bullets in this gun. POOP!
    JM[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19

Range test on hold until I get some bullets that will work in this gun.
    JM[:(]