In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

41 Magnum

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
morning folks-I'm looking
for a load for the 41 mag
with a 215 gr swc. hopefully
using unique.
thank you
rong

Comments

• TxSgt1911TxSgt1911 Member Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaddata.com shows a 220 gr. SWC with max load of 9.0 gr. of Unique w/ muzzle velocity of 1,128 fps.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own a .41 Magnum, but do proudly own a custom .41 Special. I can tell you that a cast 215 SWC at 900 fps is not only a very nice load, but will do about all that needs doing with a handgun. Going above 1000 is past what I'd call diminishing returns.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first started loading for 41 mag many years ago, I used 10 gr of unique & a 213 gr hard cast swc.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Manual shows a 215 SWC and Unique starting at 7.8 (979 fps) to 10.4 (1214 fps/36K CUP). Frankly, that max load both astounds and scares me a bit. I would NEVER have believed that so much Unique was safe in the 41 Mag.

Please note that with the current formulation of Unique, it might NOT be! As mentioned above, I'd personally stay right near 1000 fps, with a charge of perhaps 8.0 Unique. But decide for yourself.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much guys,
    I can always count on you.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    My 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Manual shows a 215 SWC and Unique starting at 7.8 (979 fps) to 10.4 (1214 fps/36K CUP). Frankly, that max load both astounds and scares me a bit. I would NEVER have believed that so much Unique was safe in the 41 Mag.

Please note that with the current formulation of Unique, it might NOT be! As mentioned above, I'd personally stay right near 1000 fps, with a charge of perhaps 8.0 Unique. But decide for yourself.

Agree, the max load for a 210 gr bullet is 9.7 gr from the latest Alliant manual. I have used a 215 w/8 grains of Unique. Anything approaching 9 gr, I would watch for pressure signs. 2400 is my powder of choice for this caliber.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I load 13grs of Blue Dot under a 210 Kieth bullet with Win WLP primers. Nice load for my 6" model 57.
    W.D.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 57 8 3/8" likes 8.5 grains of unique behind a 210 grain RCBS bullet sized .410 cast from wheel weights. Been loading this since 1974. I never saw the need to change. [:D] Eddie