In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Prairie Dogs are fun!

Sorry, no pics...next time.

FINALLY "field tested" my Savage 12/bull/blah/blah....fun.

Shots were a LITTLE bit further than expected. From the source, maybe 200, probably 300 yards max. Yeah....um....more like 450 to 550. A couple shots at 600.

Rifle did do the job, loose nut behind the trigger missed a couple....well...more than a couple. 40 shots...2.5 confirmed kills. Trust me....I will get better. Of note, this is a NON accu trigger rifle. Probably buy an aftermarket trigger for this rifle.

Along for the trip - friend with a 25-06 (90 gr hollow points), and another compadre' with a Rem 700 in 223 as well.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi dcloco,
    I really want to take a trip out west to shoot dogs with MRBRUCE. What caliber are you shooting in your savage?

The wind plays havoc with bullets starting about oh, say; 10 yards in front of the muzzle. I was thinking this evening as I shot bug holes and one fly. Yes, I shot the fly at 100 yards with my 6BR. Well, anyway, I want to get a windy blustery day to shoot some targets out to about 300 yards. learning how to dope wind makes the difference between a blowed up dead and scared silly varmints.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1

Of note, the bullet that bucks the wind the best.... Sierra 69 gr HPBT...at 3000 fps. This bullet flies very well.

Believe it or not....the Remington 50 & 55 PLHP fly very well also.

I have everything from 40 gr Nosler BT's to 69 HPBT Sierra's.

After the three mentioned....62 grain milsurp FMJ (also boat tails) work rather well.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco,

I have to agree with the 69 gr. Sierra's and also the 68.gr. Hornady's. It would give me fits trying to shoot one hole groups(big)with my Savage with that group of bullets. but when shooting at 300 yds they were always consistently better when bucking wind. The Sierra 60 gr. HP's would shoot great but they drift a little more in the wind. Our range is unique in that a draw picks up southern winds, funnels them around a draw and accelerates them really strong between the 200 and 300 yd lines from straight east almost. We shoot a little east of North so this is an almost perfect 90 deg. crosswind. Anyhow the Sierra's will still hold a 3" group in this when attempting to shoot into this. They can usually hold 1.5" to 3" otherwise.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior,
    That is interesting, as your info is identical to my experience as well.

I have not had as good of luck with the Hornady 68's, groups open up with them.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't be hard on yourself, those ranges are pretty ambitious.
  • dogmandogman Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're not far from my old stompin' grounds in CO. Colonel Plink can relate some great shots at the 'dogs. Our collective 'dog arsenal consisted of a Savage .22-250, Savage .270 (90 gr customs), multiple .22's (including my High Standard circa 1950) and a .17HMR. Good times... good times.