In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Measuring powder trouble

SSD0321SSD0321 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
I am new to reloading and can use some help. When I use the powder dipper from the Lee die set and measure the same powder in the scale, it comes out to be almost a grain less after converting the dipper to grains. I checked and rechecked the scale and it is level and I rechecked the zero. Any advice?

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    You really need to buy a powder measure. I started off 45 years ago with the dippers. One thing to remember, is to dip it full of powder and not try to level it with top of the dipper. If you follow the chart that comes with the dippers, you will usually be less than Lee says it is. They want to be sure you don't over charge a case. Their usual recommendation are on the low end.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you can make your own dipper from a cut down case of the type you are reloading. The late Skeeter Skelton wrote about soldering a wire handle to a cut down case to make a dipper for the exact cartridge and powder load that he was using but you will still need to use a powder scale to make up the case to hold the correct amount.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee's data, powder measures, and 'conversion equation" have a fudge factor figured in, I'm convinced. They err on the side of lightness and caution. Get a dispenser, though the light load may be perfectly accurate.