In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

on craigs list

i found a herter's 9a press. is this a good one for a beginner?

Comments

• awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the model 9.
    I have a super model 3 (big "C" press) that I bought in 1957:
    still works fine. I use it for the really tough resizing jobs.
    You will probably need an adapter for the ram, since the Herter
    rams do not accept the newer shell holders. Adapters are available from RCBS. Good reloading.[:)]
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    here, i'll post the link to it and then see what you think.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/338307694.html

i really like the idea of doing things one stage at a time. it'll keep me honest as i progress. but i read about the shell holders not working and i'd have to get an adapter.
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw the pic from your link, and realized that I have a model 9 bolted to my bench. I use it for neck sizing and for full length sizing for straight wall pistol cases. It works fine for that. The only thing I do not like about it is the "slanted" ram arrangement.
    It's hard to seat bullets and get proper alignment. For bullet seating, I like a "vertical" ram; like the Lee Reloader Press, # 90045, light duty but OK for seating / crimping.

You have mail.
    edited November -1
    awinds,

thanks for the info. from the pic i really can't tell much towards the angle or anything. i just thought it was well into my price range and seemed to be in good condition from the pic. but the adapters i'd have to get and the fact that i couldn't find a lot of info about it was making me hesitate.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aramisvi,

Hold a piece of paper or an envelope parallel to the mounting plate and you'll see that the ram is angled out away from the bench at approximately 15 degrees.

In my opinion, I'd get a new or slightly used press that is from the last couple of years. Why bother with adapters and other stuff when you can get a new press for very little money or even look at the kits available that have everything you need except dies and cartridge paraphernalia. Look at RCBS, Hornady or Redding.

Best.
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

funny you should say that. i recently had an offer that i do believe i will be taking. a newer press, reputable company, and a good guy to deal with. now i just gotta get the money together. thanks for the advice.
    as i progress in my reloading, i will be posting here more and more. the advice you guys have been giving me has been a huge help so far and i look forward to many conversations. thanks.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aramisvi,

Good for you!

You can't help but make progress because you ask questions and we happen to have a huge number of members that are terrific reloaders and shooters. They are an extremely well rounded and knowledgeable group.

Keep asking questions.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Thanks boss.

With the accummulated knowledge of the august group of gentlemen assembled here, if I can't learn anything then I'm the biggest bonehead you'll ever meet.