In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

forster trimmer ?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i have a forster trimmer that i am having prob with.i bought the trimmer and bushings as a set.i have been trying too trim my 22-250 brass but i after i full lenght size it, the number 2 mandrel will not go in the case mouth.i have 2 number 2 mandrels and they are both too big. i even tried just neck sizing some fireformed cases and they are still too big .any help is apprec.thanks

Comments

• awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22-250 trim pilot is for .224 diam bullets.
    You might try a .22 Hornet trim pilot, for .223 bullets.
    Or, go even smaller with a .204 Ruger trim pilot at .204". Not recommended. The experts will jump all over me for that advice.
    Both are available from Forster.
    Or, chuck the pilot in a lathe and "emery" it down a .001 or two.
    Be sure to mark the pilot for your .22-250.

Be sure the brass is square when the collet tightens up.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is stamped with 22 on the end and measures .2200. It works great. What does yours measure?
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I have a forster original case trimmer kit and all of my pilots are stamped .20,.22,.24 and so on and the .22 fits fine in 22/250 or .223

my trimmer is a very nice tool and I am sure you will like yours also
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You should trim them before they are sized, and your problem should go away.....
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Ditto to mrbruce, I had the same problem, then started to trim before sizing. That cured the problem.