In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best bullet puller?

reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
Ive got a 100 lot if .357mag that I just figured out that I may have put the wrong powder charge in ( to much). I need to pull a bullet to reweigh the powder in one of them. WHICH BULLET PULLER WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I need to buy one. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Comments

• 788-308788-308 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Kenetic Bullet Puller, or the Midway. Basicaly the same, different color.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you need to buy, for lack of a better term, "shell holders" for lets say 9mm .40S&W 45acp .357 44mag etc. or do they come with what you need for most calibers
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reloader44mag,

"WHICH BULLET PULLER WOULD YOU RECOMMEND"

It is going to depend on the type of crimp and how much crimp you used.

There are two specific types of bullet pullers; kinetic and collet. The hammer-like kinetic puller holds onto the rim of the cartridge while the hammering action forces the bullet out of the neck. There are 3 or 4 sizes of three jaw 'chucks' that grip the rim holding the cartridge upside down in the hammer head.

The collet bullet puller uses a reloading press to hold the rim in the standard shell holder while a die uses a split steel collet to grab the bullet while the ram is lowered down separating the bullet from the case.

Illustrated sequence:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/AHornBulletPuller/index.asp

This is a kinetic bullet puller:

517373.gif

This is an instruction page which explains the process:

http://quinetics.com/instruct.htm

This is a collet bullet puller:

517374.jpg

517375.jpg

Some instructions:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/collet_puller.htm

Best.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kinetic type is a good way to go. They don't scratch or deform your bullets. The Midway puller (Frankford Arsenal brand) comes with three collets and will work great for pulling .357's. They are also reasonably priced.
    edited November -1
    NONONSENCE Thanks for the great links, VERY informative. Ive been reloading for over 20 years and luckily never had the need for a puller. Now I do. Your info provided will serve me well THANK YOU again.
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of bullets are you pulling? Jacketed or Lead. I have experiencd the kinetic pullers marking soft lead when the bullet slams into the bottom of the puller cavity. One way to aleviate that is to put a small piece of cloth or cleaning patch inside the puller and letting the pulled bullet fall into the cloth. The collet type will also mark the bullet if tightened too tight or if not tightened enough and slips off the ogive of the bullet. Good luck.
    edited November -1
    e8, i'm pulling hopefully just one 158gr jhp, thanks for the tip