In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speer Gold Dot vs XTP for 454

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
My FA 454s prefer 300 gr bullets. I have been loading both the 300 gr Speer (unicor) Gold Dot (made for 45 Mags) and 300 gr XTPs. Both shoot well, but the accuracy edge might go to the Gold Dots. My question is the terminal performance of the Gold Dots as a hunting bullet. Anyone had any experience with these?

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have shot the 240 grain SP and HP Gold Dots as well as the 240 grain Hornady XTP out of my muzzleloader (saboted). All of them performed flawlessly on game. I ended up sticking with the Hornady's for accuracy reasons. I would not hesitate to use the gold dots if they shoot well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Handgunner. The XTPs group more than adequately with the load that I use. However, the Gold Dots seem to all want to go into the same hole -- or almost. With my old eyes, less than a 2" group at 95 yds from a revolver is "all in the same hole."

Am going hunting in about 10 days. Will likely take some Gold Dots.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update -- Just got back from hunting. Used the 300 gr gold dots in my 454. Must state that I am very happy with the performance based upon the results from one animal. Shot a good sized Axis buck at about 80 yds quartering away. Bullet entered about the third rib from the rear, completely eliminated one lung and lodged in his lower neck. The bullet did not exit but it must have traveled 24-30 inches inside the deer. Deer moved about 18 inches, vertically ---- was slammed into the ground and did not move.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Good deal! Congrats wtroper! Pics?