In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornaday LNL AP

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
ive been thinking about getting on of these. what all would i need for the reloader itself. going to reload 45acp. and does the case feeder really help?

Comments

• Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The AP L-N-L is a pretty nice set-up. In addition to the basic press, you'll need the dies and a shell plate for .45 acp. The Hornady titanium nitride dies work great too. You might want to add a taper crimp die also. I really like mine, but I don't have the case feeder for it yet. I'd like to get one though.

Down the road, when you want to load for other calibers, you'll need the dies and shell plates for those calibers. You'll also need more of the quick change bushings (really inexpensive), because they make it really easy and fast to change the dies over without having to reset everything. You might want to get some other powder measure bushings (also really inexpensive), so you don't have to reset those when you change loads too. Just keep the preset powder measure bushings with your die set for a really fast change over.

Back when I got my AP L-N-L, I also though about getting the Dillon 650, but finally decided on the AP L-N-L. If you shop around, you can get some pretty good discounts on the Hornady equipment, but not with the Dillon. With the cost of everything I wanted to load for a number of different calibers, I found out that for the same money, I could get a Hornady Classic single stage press, the AP L-N-L progessive press, dies, bushings, shell plates, shell holders, etc. for about same price as the 650 itself.

I've been very pleased with mine. FWIW.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Hornaday makes good equipment . However I have never owned one of their presses . I have loaded on a STAR for over 30 years 250,000 rounds of 45ACP and done a lot of testing for group size with a Ransom Rest . never seen any other brand of press that would load smaller groups . email me if you want Pictures. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey thanks gunslinger and yeah perry shooter would like to see pics. of that press
  • wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok, next question and im not trying to "open a can of worms". just looking for some insight about the hornaday LNL AP compared to the dillon 550 or 650. i have the 550. but have been thinking about the auto progressive types. ive read some about the LNL AP, that they have improved even more the last several months,something to do about the "belling operation"? and "perry shooter" never did get to see that star. ive been thinking about selling the dillon. but still not sure yet. and i have the casefeeder and all of that. theres just something about the LNL AP that keeps haunting me. wished there was dealers around here so i could see one work. anyway just somemore insight that im looking for....not a WAR lol
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello look on Ebay item 260059885314 This unit is over priced but has good pictures the indexer is not the best available. Now as far as Dillon they have great customer support BUT the presses have what I think is a problem in the primer feed PLASTIC part and they don't throw the powder charge with the same consistency a star and with small charges of fast burning pistol powder you need the powder measure to be consistent.for match grade ammo.
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as trying out one of the Hornady AP L-N-L presses, go to one of the larger dealers, such as Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops, and play with one. After I tried all the various equipment out there (including RCBS, etc.), I went to a small local dealer and ordered all the stuff I wanted. I ended up getting it at something like 10% over dealer cost.