In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best Starting Trap Load for 12 Gauge

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
As per my previous topic, I am getting back into some sporting clays after over 15 years out of it. Keep in mind I was never at a competitive level even then,......just a hobby! If I recall correctly, I used to shoot a 2 3/4, with 1 1/8 oz. load of #8 shot.
15 years later, is there a different recommendation for a 12 gauge, with a 3" chamber O/U gun? Capable ammo, but not competition level, as I don't want to spend a fortune at first, while I ease back into the game![;)]
Thanks

Moved to Competition Shooting and Reloading
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting trap with the same load for 20+ years. 1 1/8 oz. of #8 shot with 18.5 gr. of Red Dot powder and AA wads. I see no reason to change.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clays powder is really nice to use. I try to stick with any 1 1/8oz #8 load at 1145 to 1200 fps. 1oz loads are fine too, just try to keep the recoil down. You will notice it after awhile.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about a "cheap" manufacturers load that can be picked up at Wallyworld? I don't reload anymore,..........but may start again at some point. Right now I am just looking for acceptable commercial loaded shells for as reasonable a price as possible.
    Thanks
  • OhioFarmBoyOhioFarmBoy Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc....I do a lot of trapshooting and keeping 2 daughters shooting as well....unless you feel the need for some specialized loading, you really can't go wrong with the Estates, Gun Clubs, or Top Guns as new shells.

Even buying 5000+ on primers, wads, powder and shot, I can't reload for sale prices...just bought Top Guns 2 3/4 dram #8's for $34.95 a flat (10 boxes) here in Ohio.

Don't get rid of your loader however, as things can always change and shift back to the economics of reloading.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart has the federal 100 packs for 15.97, thats the cheapest I've seen at there store.they work fine, anything around 1200fps. Farmboy, where at in Ohio? I'm in Massillon, and the cheapest I've been able to get them is 37-38 at Dawson's.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys! I am going to pick up the Wallyworld Federal stuff for now. Hope to get a chance to shoot a few rounds this weekend, but a front is moving through, and it is going to get rainy, and real windy, just my luck![;)]