In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recoil reducing gun rest

I am looking to buy a rest for sighting in my rifles. There are so many different choices out there. I was looking at the Caldwell or shooters ridge. Do any of you have any suggestions on some good one's or some not to buy. I usually shoot off bags but I was thinking about getting a rest for some long range shooting and to reduce the recoil on some of the larger calibers. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    IMO Caldwell is the tops in basic building a basic rest, you cannot go wrong with one.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello just a warning but I have seen buttstock damage on some fine guns when they were shot on a "lead sled" type rifle rest with a lot 50 pounds of weight . Remember the recoil has to go somewhere make sure all action screws are correct tightness and you might want to add some extra padding to the butt plate.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cringe every time I see the TV commercial with the guy shooting the "magnum" with the egg between the stock and his shoulder. What a nice stock to risk splitting out. I sure wouldn't put a nicely figured stock through that abuse. I'm not saying I don't use a weighted gun vise when sighting in heavy kickers but I don't put an extra 25# on it either.