In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.40cal sheet steel penetration

rsmemtprsmemtp Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I'm wanting to purchase a couple of 2'x3' steel plates to make a homemade dual lane target backing. I'll affix it to a 6"x6" pole barn post frame for a solid stance, but I'm wanting to angle the plate so the rounds deflect downward towards the ground, and want absolutely no penetration in the steel. Intend it for use for 9mm, .357mag and .40S&W rounds. In your guys' opinion, will 1/4" steel plate be thick enough, or do I need to locate 3/8"? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for them.

Comments

• RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will probley work for a short time but it will bulge in time with rounds hitting the same spots,better get 1/2"
  • smith52smith52 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rsmemtp
    I have 1/4 inch hot roll plates I made to shoot with .22's, however, I have shot them with 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38spl, .357mag, and .38super and they do not show any pot marks. Now these are falling plates not a fixed back stop. The plates I made to shoot with my centerfire pistol are 1/2 inch hot roll. I would recommend using either 3/8 or 1/2 inch, it should last a lot longer. I have seen 3/8 inch plates shot enough they have become dished. The 1/2 inch plates I have now take any where from 1000 to 3000 rounds a week and the league I run has been shooting them for two winters now and show no signs of damage.
    Hope this helps with your decision.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You shoot anything enough it will bend or break. Saw a guy shoot through a manhole cover with nothing but .22s and cast lead handgun. Said it took him about 40 years, about 2000 rounds a week. But I guess you hit something 4 million odd times with ANYTHING it will wear a hole in it.

I would use 1/2 inch but that's me. Then again I'd be tempted to go for some reeaaaly heavy stuff so I could shoot my rifles at it.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the loads and the type of steel. +P loads and mild carbon 1/4-inch steel plate won't hold up for long. Mild loads and hardened 1/4-inch steel plate will likely last longer than you will. If your steel plate begins to show bulging or cratering, replace it. The stories you hear about bullets bouncing back from a steel target are almost always due to the steel being distorted.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    T-1 or AR 400 in 3/8" thickness should hold up forever and a day to pistol rounds