In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06

My son in law just got a mossberg bolt action 30-06. I have never seen it but he wants some loads for it. He is just using them for target shooting. He says 100 to 200 yd max. I am looking for 2 things. First a load using commercial bullets that would work and second if anyone has experience in casting their own lead for target loads in this cal I would appreciate a bullet suggestion as well as a load. I am just getting into casting (first supplies are being ordered this week) so I can use all of the advice I can get.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Simple question. For just target shooting would surplus do or should I reload. I am a long range shooter KD range 500 and 600. So the 100 range should group in very tight.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    surplus will NEVER make it for strict target work. Start loading. MHO

for good 600yd work, to remain at LEAST MOA, you'll be needing some quality ammunition, handloaded if possible. Couple this with a fair amount of bench time and you are getting close. 1/2" at 100yds is easy,..3" at 600 is another whole game.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the surplus. If you can get your hands on some stuff loaded for the National matches, that would probably fit the bill; otherwise you will have to pay for premium ammo or roll your own.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    About how I figured. Just checking. THANKS[:)][:)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It also depends on the rifle it is shot in. If you are shooting a mil surp rifle and expecting match ammo to help a lot you might be dissapointed. Shooting 500-600 yards accurately takes a gun capable of the job as much as the ammo.
  • the real fuzzthe real fuzz Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Da-Tank
    Simple question. For just target shooting would surplus do or should I reload. I am a long range shooter KD range 500 and 600. So the 100 range should group in very tight.

I own a .308 and a 30-06. I shoot long range 700+ with both. I load the .308 with 44.4gr of H380 and set a 168gr Sierra Matchking[:)] bullet on top. The 30-06 is loaded with 49.5gr IMR 4320 and a 165gr Nosler. Both are accurate and pleasing to shoot. But it also depends on the rifle, barrel twist, barrel length. You will just have to play around and see what works and what dont.