In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trouble with acuracy with my 22-250AI

snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Help.........the original factory loads were all shoooting in a 2 inch group when I fire formed the cases but after reloading it is hard to get on the target at 50 yards. Only 6 hits out of 20 and it was in a horizontal string measuring 3x8 inches. I admit I am new at reloading but can the wrong load cause that much difference or should I suspect something else such as the scope? Very frustrating and will appreciate any advise.........Snowy

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Buy another box of factory to see if they still shoot good group "try 3 Shots".This will validate the SCOPE and rifle combination question. if it still shoots good groups.Then look at your choice of bullet and powder charge for your reload. I suspect you are trying to go for MAX velocity and the bullet is coming apart before getting to the target. or the bullet weight is wrong for the TWIST in your barrel.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you truley are getting a 3x8 with a proven scope,..you have a serious issue somewhere. Sounds like a bad scope or loose rings or a horrible stock issue.

Did the cases form completely the first firing??

What was the load??

How much neck tension??

stock torqued correctly??
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    if you truley are getting a 3x8 with a proven scope,..you have a serious issue somewhere. Sounds like a bad scope or loose rings or a horrible stock issue.

Did the cases form completely the first firing??

What was the load??

How much neck tension??

stock torqued correctly??

JustC has some very good advice here! To me it sounds like something is loose! Another thing to remember is some rifles, especially in 22-250 are very particular to what powder they like. Keep that in the back of your mind, OK. I personally don't reload for the 22-250, but have several friends that do, I'll try to see what powders their rifles liked, that might give you a place to start. Good Luck and Good Shooting!
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What recipie are you using?
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    What bullets are you using? I am inclined to believe what perry shooter stated about the bullets coming apart.
    If you see a puff of "smoke" about 20-30 feet in front of the rifle when firing, that is your issue. You need something a little more solid for a pill for this one.
  • snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went back to factory loads and the problem disappeared so the scope was fine. I reduced the powder charge 5 grains and the the problem went away. Still not as tight a patern as with factory loads but a little tinkering with the load should tighten it up. Thanks to everyone for their expert advice.....Snowy

quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    What bullets are you using? I am inclined to believe what perry shooter stated about the bullets coming apart.
    If you see a puff of "smoke" about 20-30 feet in front of the rifle when firing, that is your issue. You need something a little more solid for a pill for this one.
  • lobo 2gunlobo 2gun Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snowy1
    Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went back to factory loads and the problem disappeared so the scope was fine. I reduced the powder charge 5 grains and the the problem went away. Still not as tight a patern as with factory loads but a little tinkering with the load should tighten it up. Thanks to everyone for their expert advice.....Snowy

quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52

You mentioned you where shooting a 22-250AI is'nt the akley improved, twisted for heavier bullets ? I know that if you put a light bullet in a fast twist barrel with a high or near max charge you will get similar problems
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    #1 --Any Ackley chamber can be twisted for whatever bullet you might want to shoot.
    #2-- Where in the world were you at 5 grains more ????
    edited November -1
    yes,..I was wondering about the 5 grain decrease myself. What was the load??
  • snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original load was 43 grains of Winchester 760 powder with CCI250 primers and a 55 grain Siera slug with FMJ and boadtail. I do not know the twist on the rifling as I bought the rifle over the internet...thanks for the replies.....Snowy

quote:Originally posted by JustC
    yes,..I was wondering about the 5 grain decrease myself. What was the load??
    edited November -1
    That load appears to be around a saami max load from my limited data. If your chamber is tight, then it could very well have been your accuracy issue. Back off a few grains and work back up in .3gr increments and you'll find a good load. Try the cleaning rod trick to get an idea of your rifling rate,..that will also helk a great feal.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snowy1
    Looks like you learned a good lesson here. When a problem devlops always go back to square one and repeat. If you regain your performance you must suspect your abilities not the guns. You then try to figure out what you did wrong and correct it.

A hot tip passed on to me by a professional engine tuner: make one change at a time, test for success, and adjust as needed before making any other changes. This way your baseline performance can be a guide to any adjustments made in the load, gun or style of shooting but only one change at a time!

The reloading manuals always suggest you reduce maximum loads by at least 10%. I think you should take that advice to heart! remember you can always make the next batch hotter![8D]