In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62 X 39 RELOADERS was told to ask (JustC)

I picked up some range brass and a few were different from the others see PIC. Any idea what caused this.(maybe the guys gun is worn out?) after resizing they came out fine.
Also I see some AK and sks have anything from.308-.311 ID. would a 311 dia bullet shot from a 308 barrel be to tight for use.

DSCF2383.jpg

Comments

• pokerpimppokerpimp Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks normal to me, the AK slings the brass real good. It is hitting the top cover on the way out. I know that sometimes when bolt carrier spring is weak it will slam back real fast and throw it even farther with more damage. You can put a piece of rubber weather stripping on the inside lip of the top cover and it will stop damaging the brass so. Gl to you.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    NOT ASKING ABOUT THE DINGS, ITS THE EXTRA BULGE AT THE NECK.my gun does not leave that ring at the neck
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone has either a chamber problem or (less likely as the shoulders arn't blown out) was firing out of battery.
    There is (without measuring the cases) also the (remote) possibility that there is/was a piece of broken neck lift inside their chamber.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That two step neck looks like someone started a reamer down the throat then stopped. The bulge looks too uniform almost to be an accident. Better feeding maybe?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going with a peice of neck left in the chamber,...a carbon deposit, or a poorly cut chamber. That looks too uniform to be from ejection. Ejection marks will appear as a flat spot across one side of the case mouth where it was dragged along the inside guide rails or action before it was thrown free.

I would have a borescope sent into the chamber neck or a chamber cast done.

I have been told that a .311" pill in a .308" bore was fine,..but have never bothered reloading a 7.62x39 as they are fairly cheap, and not a very accurate rifle, no matter which one they come in.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    justc, thanks.

I HAve not loaded any 762x39 yet but with the price of everything going up it wont hurt the have the dies and some brass handy.

GUN WITH NO AMMO IS JUST A WALL HANGER
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The are some in the AK building fraternity that use old SMLE barrels for AK's when they want them to look like a longer/heavier barreled RPK. The old 303 chamber can be modified to sorta work for 7.62x39 by cutting it back, it appears that this individual cut off too much barrel, then had to finish the chamber with a new reamer. This resulted in the double neck you see.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in with the 'odd cut chamber' lot.

Everything else I've experienced, can think of, or has been said, just doesn't fit as well.

I don't think I've fired 100 rounds of BRASS CASED 762x39 in my LIFE.