In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

liquid cleaner for brass

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few months back I bought a 'box' of reloading supplies from a garage sale. There was some liquid brass cleaner in a commercial 'paint can' type container with a basket inside. The label was loose and illegible and had a wide stip of paper tape wrapped around the can labeling it as 'BRASS CLEANER'.

I took about 20 dirty 44 cal brass that had been de-capped and put them in the basket and into the liquid. A few minutes later I curiously picked the basket up and the brass was brilliantly clean. Inside and out. Not knowing what else to do, put them in a gallon of clean water for a minute or two and then let them drain / air dry.

I've been reloading for about 40 years and really only cleaned brass when it got really dirty. I've always used a large rock polishing tumbler with dry media. Does anyone have any experience in liquid cleaners similar to what I described. It did a great job and was very fast.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom,

Iosso Gun Care Products

IOSSO CASE CLEANER

Restores brass casings to a bright finish in seconds. This liquid cleaner effectively removes powder fouling residue, oxidation, tarnish, discoloration, dirt, and grime. It cleans the inside of the casings and the primer pocket where tumbling media is not effective. Just immerse the casings in the solution for from 20 seconds up to five minutes, rinse, and dry. The Case Cleaner solution is reusable and economical. A quart of Iosso Case Cleaner cleans approximately two thousand cases depending upon the degree of tarnish and residue. Environmentally friendly.

http://www.iosso.com/metal.htm

Best.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use the IOSSO Brass Cleaner for some of my cleaning. I have lately started using a product called KA-BOOM that I get at Wal-Mart. It does a little better job on tarnished cases and it is a lot less expensive.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just for the fun of it try submerging them in Tomato juice for a while, make sure to rinse well afterwards.
    That plain old juice will suprise you[:D]
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used some stuff called "The Works" from Dollar General and have had great results. I use it in a 50/50 mix with water and leave them in for about 2-3 minutes and then rinse. The shine like new as well. It is only $1 and goes a long way. I keep the left over in a gallon glass jar and that is what I use to put the cases in when I wash them and then rinse in a pasta strainer.
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my buddy puts nu finish car wax in his tumbler
  • Options
    cajunmancajunman Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a little Brasso in with corn cob media in my tumbler. it works really well.