In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

General Dillon press question

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
I am wanting to get into reloading and want a Dillon reloading press. What I need to know is if Dillon makes a pistol and rifle reloader? The rounds that I will reloading are .45 ACP, .38 Specal, 30-30, 8mm, and 7.62x39. I have the RL 550B in mind. What do you think?

Knightrider

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    GO WITH THE 550B UNLESS YOU PLAN ON LOADING 1000'S OF RDS OF PISTOL TYPE AMMO (THE AUTO CASE FEEDER IS NICE).
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Dillon 550B and well pleased with it. I load rifle ammo on a RCBS Rockchucker press though. I have no doubt that set up right the Dillon would do fine on rifles also, I just prefer the single stage route for rifles. You can get complete set-ups for the 550 and change from caliber to caliber very quickly.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    550 should work great...650 even nicer[:D]
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    get the 550B i have loaded over 20,000 38 super loads
    and just finished 2,000 .223 and changing toolheads tonight to load more 38 super you know it is almost IPSC season
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old 450 is over 20 years old and still going strong. I wish I could tell you that they can't be broken, but that would be a lie, however I will tell you when Mike Dillon says "No B.S. warranty", he ain't kiddin'.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only press they make that is pistol-only is the square deal b.All others do both...except the shotgun press of course.
    Take the 'rounds per hour'liste in the blue book with a grain of salt,'cause the hurrier you go the bigger the foulups to fixup.
    a stedy pace will fill the hoppers nicely and the ammo will be the better for it.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    The 550B is capable, easy to use & set up, costs about $75 more than when I bought mine, switches calibers in about 10 seconds if using the same size primers, throws very consistent powder charges, and if you do something to make it stop; the kind folks at Dillon will get you up & running again with a phone call.
    The speed thing will come in time, it's all the same motion everytime; feed the case into the plate, pull the handle, add another case, pull the handle, add a case & a bullet, pull the handle, etc.
    Rifle calibers are no problem either; I can reload almost as fast as I can shoot my SKS.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both a 550B & an old 450 with 550 powder dump/primer feed upgrades with a magnum powder bar installed. I use the 450 for magnum rifle cartridges only & load everything else on the 550B. I couldn't be happier with both presses. One thing I found important was to keep a cover over the press when not in use. You can buy nifty covers but being a cheapskate I put garbage bags over mine.