In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shotshell case life

How many times do you guys think i should reload Winchester AA and Remington Nitro 27's

Comments

• PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload my hulls untill the crimp starts cracking. The crimp area will normally crack before the rest of the hull.
  • rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had once fired hulls that were cracked. and I have also had some hulls make it past 7 reloads. each shell is differant. that is why you have to check each shell before reloading. On a avarage I usually get 4-5 reloads out of a hull.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about those full length brass shotshells, anyone have any xp?
  • Remington52865Remington52865 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the advice i had some that started to crack and i just threw them away
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    WHEN PETERS CAME OUT WITH THE 'BLUE MAGIC' HULL I TRIED RELOADING SOME TO DEATH ALONG SIDE SOME AA'S. BOTH GOT TO 15 RELOADS BEFORE SPLITING THE CRIMP. TIME WILL PLAY A FACTOR AS WELL AS THE PLASTIC BECOMES MORE BRITTEL WITH AGE.
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall back in the late 60's -early 70's the NRA Tech Staff did a little experiment on this. If I recall they ended up around 20 reloads with AA's.
    A lot would depend on your use and type of action. With an O/U the less than perfect crimps would be usuable vs a pump or auto.

I once tried an experiment with 28 and 410 AA's.
    Chronographed 5 factory rounds each then reloading/chrono'd. till the crimp fell apart and no longer held in the shot.
    At the time my loading room was in the barn and the chrono was just outside the window,so I could shoot,reload,shoot,reload.
    The 28's averaged 17.8 reloads,410's 11 reloads.
    True these were not the best looking reloads but averaged 1239fps in 28,1265fps in 410.
    I did not pattern them however at the time my skeet scores did not change any if I used others like these or factory rounds. My skket shooting was just informal Sunday morning rounds at a local club.