In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

340 Wby scope

smokeatr23smokeatr23 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am looking for a new scope for my 340 wby.I don't want to spend a great deal of money(under $400. Checked out a few
(redfield ILL 3-10x50,Pentax 4-16x50and NRA 3-10x50 by brunton.
Am I heading in the wrong direction leaning toward the Redfield since they are no longer? Will any of these hold up to the recoil?
Thanks

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That NRA scope is a POS. I've looked at them a few times, dark, blurry.

For the money you are willing to spend you can get a

Burris Fullfield II

Leupold VX-II

Nikon Monarch

Nikon Buckmasters

Bushnell Elite 3200 series

Bushnell Elite 4200 Series

You'd be hard pressed to find a better scope for your money than the Nikon's or Bushnell Elites. The Bushnells have a "Bullet Proof" Warranty and are tested to withstand 10,000 rounds of a 375 H&H. Nikon's no hassle lifetime warranty is also superb.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putting a cheap scope on a hard recoiling rifle like the 340 is asking for failure and looking for it to happen at the wrong time.

Buy a Burris Signature scope and put it into Burris Signature rings.

Cry once; never regret it.
  • smokeatr23smokeatr23 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I have been considering both burris and bushnell.Just saw the $200 price on a new (old) redfield and always liked them.I will likely go with the bushnell 4200 4-16x50.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    smokeatr23 -- I have no experience with a 340. However, I notice that the scopes that you are considering are large ones (4-16x50). I shoot mostly scope sighted revolvers. The effect of the recoil on the scope on a revolver is much greater than that from a rifle. However, on hard recoiling revolvers, selecting a physically smaller scope reduces, somewhat, the effect of the recoil on it.

Logic tells me that if this is true with a handgun scope, the same might apply to rifles. I am not suggesting that the 4-16x50 will not hold up on your 340. I am suggesting that if you do not need all that magnification on this rifle, a physically smaller scope (of the same quality) should hold up at least as well if not better.

Good shooting.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Smokeatr,
    You should be very careful choosing a high powered variable for a rifle with the amount of recoil that a 340 wby will produce. Pay particular attention to the eye relief or you may be sporting the "Magnum eyebrow"[;)]
    edited November -1
    yeah I know most I have looked at have at least 3.5 inches relief. Most of my shooting has been done with high power rifles, just not much experience with the 10+ power scopes. Eye relief is one of my top priorities. Thanks
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    smokeatr23 , I have a Browning A-bolt in 375H&H with a Nikon
    " Pro-Staff " 3x9x40 on top , and have never had a problem with it [:)] I'm shooting Seirra 250gr Gameking bullets out of it , and once in a while some Hornady 300gr R.N. bullets .
    I'v had this rifle / scope combo for several years , No problems .
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Right after Tasco brought out their 'Custom Classic' line...reputed to be the best thing since sliced bread..I bought a 4x16 and a 36x.

Mounted the 4x16 and hied myself off to the range...50 shots later, the crosshair 'fell down'...So I happened to have the 36x with me...mounted IT...took just 5 shots to utterly destroy the reticle.

Sent 'em back to the factory...took 6 months to get them back...and I promptly sold their 'reconditioned scope'..telling the guy about the deal, of course...
    My rifle weighs 8 pounds...and I was driving a 250 gr Sierra at 3000 fps...pretty fierce recoil.
    I mounted a Leopold 4x14 and have had no more trouble.
    edited November -1
    Thanks highball I'll steer clear of tasco.