In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Measuring powder??

Is there an easy way to set up your reloading bench to measure powder?

I have mine set up, with the bottom of the powder measure about 2" from the pan on my beam scale. Every time that I throw a charge, a little pit splashes out of the pan. Thoughts?

Comments

• 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are really meant to drop powder into the brass, not an object that is not in oclusive seal with the mouth of the dispense/drop tube. I always use the brass as a measuring vessel because of the reasons you mention. There are electronic measures and tricklers that will cut down the steps, but they are a pricey solution.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Yea dcloco, I think I told you earlier that I use the PACT digital scale and a powder trickler to get each load(IMR 4895/4831/4198/AA2230c/UNIQUE)-the Pact maintains consistence in all the powders, no matter what their physical shape.I used to use the Lee powder measure, but what a PITA-so I just went and got the PACT from Midway.RELIEF.[:o)][:o)][:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just take the pan off my scale every time I weigh a charge. Yes it is one more step, but it keeps things a little cleaner.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I am reloading for better accuracy in my Savage 12FVS-see this thread -

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=151790

...not "volume" loading. Most of the reloading that I will be doing is due to the need to lessen the cost and get better accuracy.

Tonight, I loaded 100 rounds for the Savage - cost...$22. Includes primers, bullets, & powder. Took a couple hours. So, for the naysayers on the other thread...I still made $25/hour...and got better quality ammo for my rifles.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if throwing by hand, you'll need to verify each load on the scale. I hold the pan right up tight to the drop tube, and then lower it after the charge is thrown. THEN I verify the charge on the scale.

I use the digital scale/dispenser for all match accuracy work,..but for non-customs for 100-200yds etc I throw charges as long as it is ball powder or small extruded grain powders.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    My RCBS powder dispenser throws charges consistently if ball powder, to .01 grain, good enough for any work I do. Otherwise, I would invest in an electronic scale and perhaps trickler, though I don't have one of those yet.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I use a case of the particular caliber I'm loading and after weighing several charges, I grind the case to that size to use for a dipper under the measure. I welded a little handle on the side and it works great for checking while I'm seating or depriming. Just run it under the measure, pour it into the pan, wait 3-5 seconds, and it's go or no-go.
    I use a Lee Safety scale to verify my PACT digital scale, which verifies my loads through the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. This combo is capable of +/- .1grain accuracy.
    If you're throwing charges by hand, one at a time; you need to develop a rhythm that neither jars the measure on the up- or-down strokes, makes a full pull both ways, and is as smooth and consistent pull-to-pull as you can be. Make sure your measure is at least 3/4 full to get an even pressure on the powder column.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info...again!