In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 steel case amminution

Several years ago I purchased unknowingly, 500 rounds of copper coated, steel case ammo (ChinaSport/Norinco, 147gr - FMJ). I finnally opened the wooden shipping box and took few 20 round boxes to the range. On the 8th shot, the spent cartrage failed to extract from the chamber. I was shooting a Supermatch Springfield M1A. It took a lot of effort but I finnally got the cartrage to extract. I set the rifle aside not knowing if that steel ammunition could harm the chamber and bolt of my M1A of not.
Later I thought of appling a light ammount of resizing lube to this steel case ammo, and give it another try. Could this steel case ammo do any damage to my Supermatch M1A? I was hoping one or two of you Camp Perry Shooters could share with me your thoughts.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If it were mine I would find a buyer for the ammo you have . I WOULD NOT suggest at any time to put case lube on any rifle cartridges and fire them . A riflr cartridge is designed to expand upon fireing and the chamber walls GRIP the cartridge when under high pressure then as the pressure drops the case contracts to allow the extractor and ejector to do their job. lube on a case will increase the BOLT THRUST and it might be to such a level it could ruin the rifle and shooter.
  • GraybuzzardGraybuzzard Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello If it were mine I would find a buyer for the ammo you have . I WOULD NOT suggest at any time to put case lube on any rifle cartridges and fire them . A riflr cartridge is designed to expand upon fireing and the chamber walls GRIP the cartridge when under high pressure then as the pressure drops the case contracts to allow the extractor and ejector to do their job. lube on a case will increase the BOLT THRUST and it might be to such a level it could ruin the rifle and shooter.
    Thats what I was worried about, excessive thrust on the bolt lands. Steel case dosen't have the spring back qualities of brass case. Thats why after chamber heat up from the first few rounds shot, the spent case was in there to tight to be extracted. Chamber tolerances for a six grove N.M. barrel are much tighter than for a four grove service grade barrel. Thanks for your verification of why it wouldn't be a good idea. Graybuzzard.
  • wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I have put 100 rounds of the Monarch 145gr steel case thru my FAL with no problems.
    I get 2.5" groups at 150 yards, with my 16" FAL.
    I prefer to use the good ammo but the steel case is just for plinking, since it's a lot cheaper right now.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Supermatch has a lot tighter chamber than a FAL. Sell the steel case stuff and buy some good brass cased ammo.