In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17hmr at 300yds

I suspected that this 17gr v-shok could get out there, but I didn't think I would be able to hit anything.
This was shot with a Savage 93R17-F and wasn't the only clay I broke yesterday at this distance... It was just the prettiest.
17hmr_300yds1.jpg

You can't see it, but there is a bench just this side of my van.
17hmr_300yds2.jpg

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Amazing. That little bullet fragged and took all that center out...!!

How much hold-over ?
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Cool shot. Thats the distance I shoot my 204. My barrel gets very hot after about 4 or 5 shots. How is the 17 with that. Does it get very hot??? And thanks. Now I gotta put a 17 on my want list...
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    The reason I stop at 300 yards is thats when the woods start. I'd love to use your shooting range. Looks unlimited...
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 400 yards...the 17HMR bounces off a clay tile..
    Nice shot outterRing...Gotta those 17's..!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • OutterRingOutterRing Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This range has targets (wooden sheets mounted in steel frames on 5" steel posts) at 100, 200, 250, 300, 400, 500, 600 yards.

My holding over the clay is not based on a guessed height. I have a cheap Tasco (walmart @ $29.99) scope with a duplex reticle. Amazingly enough, I center that spot on the reticle where the thick line meets the thin cross-hair, and it hits EXACTLY at 300 yards for this bullet.

The barrel does get hot, but not extremely quickly. I had shot about 20 rounds through it at 100yds before I started trying to break clay at 300yds. I didn't carry enough clay with me to set up at 400yds, but I think the next time I go to the range I will have to try it.

It was a very fun afternoon at the range.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    OutterRing - I do the same trick on my scope on a Savage 93fv in 22 mag at 200 yards :)