In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BLACK POWDER METALIC CARTRIDGES

Moving into a new field of shooting. Would be interested in any information or information resources pertaining to the loading of metalic black powder cartridges, specifically for the 1874 Sharps (45-120) and for the 1876 Winchester (45-75, 50-95). Can find most of the items need for loading, but not a lot of information on how or what to load. Rifles will be used for target shooting, fun shoots, but more importantly for traditional hunting out West. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CC

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well there are a number of books on black powder reloading- I'd look at www.buffaloarms.com as they carry a number of them.

The basic method is pretty easy. Figure out your bullet seat depth. Fill the case so it is full to that depth once the powder is settled-which can be accomplished by use of a drop tube, simply tapping the case a number of times, or my favorite, holding your thumb over the top and holding the case against a running case tumbler. Then seat the bullet to the powder charge so there is no air. Simple enough. Use a non-petroleum base lube. I like a 50/50 mix of beeswax and crisco. SPG is a commercial lube that works well.

That's the basic method. Past that if you want to play around for peak accuracy you might need compression dies, grease cookies, wads, duplex loads of fine powder/coarse powder, etc.

Main thing with BP is that there is no air in the case. For the cartridges you list I would use either cartridge grade powder or FFG.
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JONK,

Sounds pretty straight forward. I found some books on metalic BP loading in the Midway catalog so I ordered them. I am still trying to determine if there is that much of a difference between .458 vs .459 sizing for the bullets I am going to cast. Guess it all depends on what the rifle likes. Anyway, thanks for the response. Looking forward to burning some powder.

CC
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    XMP 5744 for simple/safe 45-120-3 1/4" loads. For starters out of my Davide Pedersoli Sharps. (.458)
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info. I just received an e-mail today from the USA Completition director/coordinator for Pedersoli and he explained much especially as far as correct bullet diameter. Also directed me to a web link for additional information. Along with this and your "hands on" advice, I believe I'll be on my way to burning some powder.

CC
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

XMP5744 - smokeless and/or BP substitute? Any data written anywhere? I take it the powder is made my Accurate Arms, is that correct?

CC
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CryptoChief
    FrancF,

XMP5744 - smokeless and/or BP substitute? Any data written anywhere? I take it the powder is made my Accurate Arms, is that correct?

CC

Yes-BP substitute

quote:I take it the powder is made my Accurate Arms, is that correct?

Yes, It works quite well out of mine! here is some load data (Page 43)
    http://www.nationalbullet.com/pdf/2002guide.pdf
    and this one
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/ObsoleteCartridges/45%20120%20Sharps%20Straight%20page%20365.pdf
    edited November -1
    If you go into ask the experts forum, A few there know how to make duplex loads for the 45-120 and can advise you if it is safe to do so- hope that helps-
    edited November -1
    Excellent!! Thanks a ton for the info.
    edited November -1
    BTW not sure of your press or dies, Be real careful of belling the mouth of the brass. It can get expensive if your off just a little.