In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sanding the base of bullets!!!

Is it, or could it be worth the trouble to remove materal from the base of a bulet to match others in a segerated lot? Could it be done with out ruining it?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to someone that's done that and a number of other things inorder to answer similar questions.
    It's a long read, but is also considered the definitive work on balistics. It's a PDF file, and the link will take you to page 8 (where I was when I bookmarked it)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=QdQqAAAAYAAJ&dq=Mann+ballistics&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=ktgG7Z7Xdw&sig=aSv8LM24ZqLr42Ttyz0kvp9E8Gs&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA8,M1
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    All I know is that the base of a bullet is the most important part of accuracy...
    Pinch a nose on one a little and it will be in the group, scratch the base a little and all bets are off..........
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to mrbruce,
    I've done experiments with .22 rimfire ammo and have been suprised at how little effect dramatically deformed "noses" have under 50 yards, but like the man said, mess with the base and all bets are off for sure!
    that said,
    I'm curious,
    Why???
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr Bruce & RCrosby
    The link I gave is to a online copy of Fredrick Mann's book on ballistics. He did all sorts of testing on the effects of various "deformed" bullets (IOW everything you've heard about deformed noses and bases, was researched and proven by him)
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    If you are reloading for hunting there is no need to worry about the difference in weight of your bullets as long as they are of the same lot and out of the same box. I shoot a 300 H&H magnum at 1000 yards and I weight every batch of bullets. Out of 100 I end up with maybe 60 out of the 100. Same with brass. I measure the weight and the volume of each casing. Out of 100 I might end up with 60 again. Useally about 40% waste. Well not actually waste. I still use these bullets and brass just not at matches.

As for sanding the base of your bullets, well you could do it but unless you are shooting match why? My M-40 will shoot 1/2" with bullets right our of the box at 100 yards all day long. I have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 that will shoot under 1" at 100 yards with 500gr lead bullets. The weight of these varies 10grs either way.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner,
    Just downloaded from the link. May take me a while to get to it, but it looks great and greatly appreciated!