In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tumbling nickel cases

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
I have a quick ? is it ok to tumble nickel cases never have tryed it. Thanks Kevin

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Will not hurt to try to clean the cases but nickel plating is harder and will not polish scratches out like brass cases. k
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem, clean them all the time in walnut and corncob media.
    Repeated sizing will eventually remove the nickel.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I just put them in with the brass ones. Watch the nickle ones as they crack faster that brass.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I just put them in with the brass ones. Watch the nickle ones as they crack faster that brass.

Agree, I have noticed that too. Mine crack right at the case mouth. Cracks up to 1/8 inch.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tumble my nickel 38spl brass about every third reload...stuff seems to clean itself thru a resizing die[;)]...nickel does tend to be alittle more brittle than brass when it comes to reloading, after about 6 or 7 reloads ...after belling the case mouth check for cracks...my 2 cents
  • kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys i figured it was fine.i had several 100 given to me so even if after a few loads they crack i wont be out anything.also another ? can they be annealed as brass ones? thanks kevin