In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone experienced with power case trimmers

GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
I am looking to purchase a power case trimmer. I have looked at the catalogs at Dillon and RCBS.

Has anyone used both and if you have-which do you prefer? Have you also used any others. I have never used one but I getting tired of cranking on a manual trimmer and I don't want to buy twice.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Thought about cheap? Check out the Lee...for $12 and your cordless drill, you are set.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will take a look at the Lee.

I also saw a Forester that looks like you chuck in a drill press. That might be OK. I was looking to do a lot of cases quickly with an easy in-and-out of the machine procedure.

I've got piles of 223 and 308 cases to process. I've got myself and 2 boys to load for now and the empties pile up a lot faster than the full ones do.
    edited November -1
    Fastest are not either of the ones you asked. Giraud, I believe..that is fast.

The Lee might suit your needs....and could purchase two complete setups for about $25 (two boys...hint...hint).
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS unit and it has been great. It trims down to under .001" accuracy.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    For mass quantities, it is hard to beat the Dillon. Mounted in a 30 dollar drill press, you can makes piles of chips.
    Do not expect precision with this set-up...up to .005 variences can be expected...Dillon said this was "Normal"...not good enough for match cases...

I also have the RCBS..slower, but a bit more precise.
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to the Lee items. (by the way, I don't like a lot of the LEE items...but this works rather slick.)

After you purchase the first link...you only have to spend $3.49 for each additional caliber. But, if you only shoot two calibers a lot, for a complete set of both calibers and the trimmer...you are looking at $12.50 per set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=476992

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=107333
    edited November -1
    dcloco-I've never heard of that brand (giraud) and I just googled it and didn't find anything - do you have a website for the info?
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info...keep it coming. I have used a RCBS case trimmer-2 for years and I also have a Redding case trimmer but I have started to get some shoulder pain and have lots of cases to do.

dcloco-do you hand hold the cases with the LEE or use a drill press and vice type set-up?

Highball-did you mean reloading press instead of drill press?-I have several unused RCBS and Lee single stage presses.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Jeepers !!!
    Yes...of course I meant "Reloading press !! I just needed to lean back and glance over my shoulder to see the unit..set up on an old Lyman press.The business about length is still factual..I had the conversation with Dillon and was disappointed.
    The drill press was an aborted set-up..other-wise know as an experiment...to speed up the process even futher, using carbide cutters and a speed collet.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for too much money look at the "girard" (sp?) or Gracey trimmers. They take up too much space for me after looking at them and the RCBS works so well I spent the extra money on other tools[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUNFUNCO

dcloco-do you hand hold the cases with the LEE or use a drill press and vice type set-up?

Neither...cordless drill. I will take a picture tomorrow....
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have the RCBS one and like it. I have been doing a bunch of .308, and .223. I do have the prep center too, but it kills my hands. I am going to try one of the 3way cutting heads soon, I think that will be a big help. I have mine set up on a heavy saw horse so I can move it around.

DSC00081.jpg
    edited November -1
    Here is the Lee setup.

I have owned a Forster which was very good. I thought the base was a little bit light for the job. Everything else on it was top quality. Keep a light oil on the moving parts and no problems.

I now own a Hornady. Great base, very sturdy. They did not think this one through. Unit uses Hornady shell holders only. Unless, you drill out the centers of other shell holders, like I did. I also use Forster pilots in this. They are a couple bucks cheaper than the Hornady as well. I had ALL of the pilots for my Forster, so I kept them.

I picked up a Lee, just to try. I figure, I have spent $10 on other stuff that I never got my money out of...

Used the Lee setup tonight, on fifty 270 Win cases. Worked very good. Of note, one item that the Lee setup has over ANY of the other manual case trimmers (RCBS, Hornady, Forster, or other of similar manufacture)...because the Lee uses a pilot down the throat, that centers with the firing pin hole, there is very little flashing to be removed from the inside of the case mouth. All is either cut or rolled to the outside.

Another item, if you absolutely wanted to, you could file the centering pin on the pilot shaft to cut cases shorter. But, could not lengthen it once modified. All of the cases I cut were the exact same length.

Assembled, just add drill.
    leeA.jpg

Ready for another case.....
    leeB.jpg

Apart, ready to change calibers. The Lee comes with a pilot and shell holder for the caliber you are trimming to length.
    leeC.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I do have the prep center too, but it kills my hands. ..... I have mine set up on a heavy saw horse so I can move it around.

I complained about the case prep center when I first purchased as well. Now, I don't know what I would do without it.

Use a set of rubber gloves, it helps, a LOT!

I have the inside firing hole chamferring tool, pocket brush, primer pocket uniformer, inside neck chamfer, and outside neck chamfer mounted on mine. I only flip the case once, in the "assembly line".

Cut my case prep time in half.

I thought about a three way cutter, but at the time, I still owned the Forster case trimmer...they are not made for it.

Let us know how you make out with yours, if you decide to purchase one.
    edited November -1
    Many thanks, all. And Happy Easter. Just got back from visiting family and friends.

I think I will order both a Lee setup to try with a caliber like 308 or 223 and before I spring for the RCBS. I might try to lock the Lee cutter in my drill press and put the other end in my drill press vice and see how it works. I might order the RCBS when I get my tax refund back but I can get the Lee on it's way tomorrow.

I'll try to post pictures if I can get the Lee to work in a drill press. I usually like Dillon stuff but this is one time I think I'll hold back-I want the more accurate cuts, plus the Dillon cutting dies are pricey.

Thanks again to all who took the time and effort to respond.
    edited November -1
    gunfunco, chuck the cutter/spindle in the drill press. Hold the other end.

....and then let us know how that works out.

If your drill press does not have any tool head vibration, you should be just fine. My cheap drill press...well...is just that...cheap.