In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Aluminum base shotshells

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
...I usually stick with Win. AA or Rem. Premier hulls. I had some non-reloaders leave a mess of aluminum based hulls at my house. They're the Wally World special, 100 packs of Federal Field & Target and Remington Gun Club. I hate throwing away once fired hulls with an 8 point crimp. Has anyone reloaded these?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct me if i'm wrong but they're not aluminum, they're some kind of metal that sticks to a magnent though
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...You made me check with a magnet. You are correct. That's what I get for "assuming".
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded those before. they have poor crimp memory. and i threw them away after only one time. the fiber base wad looks like tobacco and well it can come out and can get stuck in the barrel and you know what happens after that. some guys reload anything and everything. it can be done but you have to pay close attention to the base wad. they start to separate and look flaky, and this is how you can tell when its about to come all the way out. once they start flaking toss them.

IMHO they are not worth messing with, been there done that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Thanks for the heads-up, Odawgp. The Federals have a fiber base, but the Rem. Gun Clubs have a one piece plastic base wad that appears to be molded as part of the hull, like the Premiers. I have enough hulls that I'll probably toss the Federals.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anytime, the only problem with rem's is that they have no crimp memory, my mec jr loads them pretty good but the 366 crushes most of them or they look like i use a 6pt crimp on a 8 pt crimped shell. they can get UGLY but hell they shoot and they where free.[:p]