In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

magnum primer

maschevymaschevy Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
Im new to reloading and want to know is it safe to use small pistol magnum primers with 9mm loads? thanks

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does your manual say? I go by what it says.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10-4 on that. Unless the manual specifically states to use mag primers, I sure would not. Nine mm is a small case and a little change can make a lot of difference. Magnum primers are only needed for uniform ignition of cases full of slow burning powder. Basically the opposite of the 9mm.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you drop the powder back by .1-.2 grains and do not use max loads you will be OK. I have used mag primers in a pinch with no issues.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, Working with the .44 mag, 240 grain slugs and 2400 powder, I found that backing off about 1 grain of powder and adding the magnum primer gave same velocity as the standard primer with 1 more grain of powder. It's always bugged me how many articles will give loads listing bullet, powder type and amount, etc. but often not stating the make or type of primer. (specifically standard or magnum) I rarely work at the upper limits where it would be a critical question, but still, it's good to know.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop the listed load by 5% and use your mag primer. SOP when changing a listed component type in reloading.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    One of my manuals (I can't remember which off the top...probably Lee) calls for magnum primers in certain circumstances. Like those Mobuck stated.