In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

400 Cor-Bon Reloads ???

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
Reposted from the General Forum...

400 Cor-Bon Reloading
Is there anyone who is currently reloading this cartridge?
- If so are you using Star-Line Cartridges or re-formed 45ACP?
- Are you willing to offer information on your recipes?

I've been reloading 45ACP, 9mm, 40S&W, 45LC for some time and want to do the same with 400Cor-Bon. I've been shooting factory loads until recently and now reloading seems the most cost-effective.

I've loaded some test rounds to take to the outdoor range to record some chronograph measurements. I've been doing some research and feel that what I've loaded is a mid-range of the cartridge's capacity.

I've loaded 200 rounds of 155 grain JHP over 7.9-10.0 grains of BlueDot using reformed once-fired 45ACP brass with large pistol primers. From what I've been able to ascertain from my recent research all-over is that I should be expecting velocities between 1,000 and 1,250 fps. Well within the stated factory load velocities.

Cor-Bon factory ammo is pushing 1,350 fps with the 150 grain JHP. The Cor-Bon ammo uses StarLine brass with small pistol primers. I understand that StarLine went to small primers to limit the primers from backing out at the higher pressures that the 400 Cor-Bon is designed for. An early review of the 400 Cor-Bon round by Peter Jordan of www.recguns.com noted that the 400 Cor-Bon had not been SAAMI standardized at that time (early 1997) but went on to note that the factory loads in 1997 were slightly exceeding the 45+P SAAMI rating (25,000psi) at 26,500psi.

I've tried to contact Cor-Bon to get their input but with no response. Although it was Peter Pi's original intent that the 400 Cor-Bon be a reloader's round and not necessarily a factory round, Cor-Bon is being very stingy with load data. This may be the reason the cartridge has not had the following that the 357 Sig has had.

It's my intent to keep the cartridge within the 45+P range of 25,000psi since that's the normal range of my pistol (Sig P220 with EFK aftermarket barrel and standard +P Sig recoil spring). My plan is to start with the 7.9 loads (~1,000fps) and work my way up keeping check on each cartridge to be sure that:
1- The primers aren't backing out or over-extruding.
2- The brass doesn't begin to show indications of over-pressure.
3- No evidence of fracturing of the cartridges at or near the head/case-wall juncture.
4- Felt recoil remains controllable.
5- Slide action remains reasonable and the cartridges remain in sight (I don't want to start launching them into low earth orbit).
6- And the actual target impact zone stays within the paper circle.

But I would love to hear from any experience as well...

Comments