In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Speer 4611

jwcrosbyjwcrosby Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I was given 400 Speer 38 cal. 148 gr. double ended WC, #4611. They are no longer made by Speer, so I haven't found load data. Does anyone know a good load for .38 special and/or .357? I have Bullseye and Trail Boss powder, so would prefer to use one of them. I also prefer lighter loads.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jerry

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    2.5 grains of BULLSEYE .IMHO TRAIL BOSS is not the powder you want to use for this bullet.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. THE classic 38 Special load for the DEWC is 3.5 Bullseye, or 2.7 grains for the hollowbase version. If that bullet has crimp grooves, seat it right to there. If not, seat it either flush with the case mouth or with the mouth just under the lip of the bullet. Either way, crimp lightly.

That's a swaged, almost pure lead bullet, so do NOT try to goose it to hyper-speed. 700 to 750 fps is about maximum or you'll leave half of every bullet behind as barrel coating. They're accurate as heck to 50 yards, but will tumble beyond that.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jwcrosbyjwcrosby Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would that recipe be the same if I was using a .357 case?

Jerry
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be entirely safe, but you'd get a teensy bit less velocity. But not as much a drop as you'd think. So the short answer is: yes.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.