In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

tumbleing

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
i know this may seem like a dumb question but excatly what is tubling the casings for

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The idea is to clean them, dirty cases can wear out dies and are hard on the gun. Corn cob or walnut shells removes the dirt and makes them look new. Rice works well also.

I also run rifle cases after sizing to remove the lube, It makes it easier to see defects in the case.

There are some polishing media sold that when added to the media makes the cases shine better than new.
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an RCBS vibratory tumbler. Pretty cool machine and the brass comes out looking better then when I buy them new. I run walnut first then corn with polish.

Great idea to run them after sizing,,how long can you use the same media if you run them to clean off the lube?
  • r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a universal decapping die that I use to puch out the used primers, tumble them to clean any powder residue, resize them, then briefly tumble them again to remove the lube. I use Hornady's media (not sure what it is) or rice. Lyman's corn cob media tends to stick in the primers hole. The cases come out bright and makes it very easy to see flaws. While tumblers are not a necessary item for reloading, I think they are very important to the longevity of your dies.

RH
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    That shiny brass is also easier to find in the long grass.[:D]
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tumble first before I decap or size. many rounds can you tumble before you need to buy new media?
  • r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get about a lot sessions of tumbling to remove the lube. I use Hornady one-shot spay lube which mostly dries on its own but I want everything clean and dry - its the blackpowder shooter in me. Unfortunately I don't have an exact number but I feel I get my moneys worth from the media. If I had to guess, I would say 25 sessions.

RH