In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

load down a 7mm

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I am interested in in loading down a 7mm to 110 gr. How much reduced recoil can I expect? I am loading for my wife that has been shooting a .243 and do not want to overwhelm her. How well can I expect the load to perform on deer size game?

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm what? 7mm Rem Mag., 7x57, 7mm-08, etc,etc. --- Velocity will have a great effect on bullet performance. The 110s & 115s are usually constructed for varmits not deer size game. Size of deer makes a difference too...............
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, 7mm rem mag
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    46.0 grains of IMR 4895 on a 130 grain bullet will be pretty mild. Velocities will be similar to a 7mm-08 or 7x57. My manual shows 2750 FPS.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the 7mm bullets that light may not hold together on deer size game. I personally would not go lighter than 120gr for deer and would probably stay with 140s -- But I have loaded 7mm Rem. Mag with 120gr Sierras and Nosler B.T. with IMR4895 and IMR4064 powders in the past with good results and fairly light recoil. Check out the construction of the bullet you decide to use before buying them. Nothing will turn your wife against hunting faster than a badly wounded animal that she sees suffering.....good luck...........[8D]
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loading a 120gr Spitzer in front of 39.6gr of RX7 will produce a light load with MV of only 2689fps. That requires an hour glass to time the bullet to the target! <8^)
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

The North Fork 284 Semi-Spitzer is perfectly suited to the lower velocity of reduced loads:

"This bullet, along with the 308-150 and 358-200, was originally designed for the hand cannon crowd. These folks had expressed that the bullets that were available, in the weights that would give them useable trajectory and range, were either constructed too lightly or they were more designed for rifles and wouldn't open at the lower velocities. Their desire was for a bullet that would hold together but still open at the low velocities that resulted from long-range shots (for pistols) and low initial muzzle velocities. The 284-130 was designed to fit that bill."
    http://www.northforkbullets.com/bullets.htm

Hodgdon Powder Co. has an entire section on reduced loads. The data list is on the left:
    http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php#top

Personally, I would have her use a 7mm-08 or 7mm Mauser (7x57) as opposed to downloading the 7mm Rem. Mag.

Best.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Speer manual #11

all loads are with Dupont SR4759

130gr 22.0gr-1768 fps, 26.0gr - 2088 fps

145gr 24.0gr- 1811 fps, 28.0gr - 2112 fps

160 gr 26.0 gr - 1770 fps, 30 gr. - 2067 fps

175 gr. 28.0gr - 1831 fps, 32 gr 2085fps

I have tried some of these - great fun, phenominaly accurate - great on Deer to 150yds, minimal recoil and noise.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a Sierra 130 gr. Pistol. round. It was designed to open up at lower velocities. Load down with SR4759 or a light load with 4895 or 4064. I'm going to assume this is the course you are taking as you must already own a 7mm Rem Mag. If you don't already own a 7mm Rem mag and want her to shoot a 7mm I would go with the 7mm-08 or 7x57.
    If you use one of the latter and decide to load normal for those I would suggest using the 120 gr. pro hunter. -good luck
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes
    Go to the Hodgdons website and then click to the Youth and reduced loads section. Hodgdons has done a ton of work with reduced loads and suggested bullets for what you are doing. I worked up some reduced loads for my son in his .284 winchester and bought a bunch of Speer 130 grain spbt's. The load we worked out is excellent and a pleasure to shoot for the boy. Remember no need to be "macho" this is your gal we are talking about here, the last thing you want is for her to hate shooting the gun cuz it kicks or hurts and then she develops a horrible flinch and other bad habits. Keep it fun.