In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picking up brass

bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
Does anyone know of a tool for picking up brass?
I was looking online and cant find anything, but I seen the coolest thing at a meet recently and dont know what it is called or where to find one.
It basicaly is like a coil spring that is oblong or like a football. You roll it on the ground and it picks up and holds the brass.

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I just use an out dated old device. I call it my hand.[:D][;)][:p]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Search for www.uniquetec.com will get you to what you are looking for [;)]
  • clownboyclownboy Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that might have been a bad link but I did find it.
    Try this one http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

Never seen one of these before. Might have to grab me one as well!

Brad

(Just ordered one - Couldn't help myself!)
  • bryan6842003bryan6842003 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks a bunch! I figured someone had to have seen it somewhere. I cant believe Midway or some of the shooting supply places arent carying something like this.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Looks promising. I wonder how it works in grass and weeds though?

For those who order one, post reviews. Thanks in advance!
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    I just use an out dated old device. I call it my hand.[:D][;)][:p]

I got one better than that - 2 kids!

Only times I've really been worried about saving brass was with a few boxes of LC Match 7.62x51 ammo. Set the FALs gas adjustment to "off" and just hand cycled for most of it, but for one box of semi-auto we shot a few rounds to see where the brass would end up and just layed out a big painter's drop cloth.
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    They make them to pick up pecans.
  • oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has someone here ever actually used one of these in sand and weeds? I would sure like to hear from you.
    edited November -1
    Well, I have one on the way and will revisit the topic once I have used it.

Enjoying the discussion though and how some incorporate their children. HA! Most of my aches and pains from shooting are spent bent over looking for my brass. I do believe that it needs to be on a firm surface for it to catch the brass. That is how the Walnut one works.
    You might also note that in the ad it comes with a device that you press against it to release all the shells into the bucket. Gotta say that it looks very promising!

Brad
    edited November -1
    I have one of those pecan pickers, I dont think it will work for small brass, but I may try to modify it and see how it does.
    I hope someone posts about the "brass wizard" soon....got a bday coming up! [:D]
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had one I would try it. Not too much grass and weeds on the ranges I shoot on. Leaves are another matter. Would think they would work in grass since most pecan trees have grass under them to some extent.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    They work reasonably well in the best of conditions, which means if you use them in gravel they will pick up more gravel than brass.
    edited November -1
    Alright - It has finally arrived.

Tried a mix of 9mm and 30-30 and grabbed everyone. Also gave it a twirl on the grass but the soil was moist. It actually seemed to press the brass into the dirt and only picked up one or two. Not a good test plot around for me to try on firm ground with the grass. But the instructions say it works well and I have no reason to doubt it.

The bucket attachment was pretty decent too. You set the Brass wizard into its cradle and shake it a little and they fall out. I would guess this will get a lot of use at my range. Should come back without a sore back from now on.

The handle is a bit long but you could cut it down to a more comfortable size. I might even drill a hole and add a leather wrist strap. Could also hang it in my shop by this. (Just a thought)

That is my review. I feel the asking price was well worth it. I might even consider buying the one for shotgun empties. Seems to be a good investment.

Brad
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clownboy

The handle is a bit long but you could cut it down to a more comfortable size. I might even drill a hole and add a leather wrist strap. Could also hang it in my shop by this. (Just a thought)

And how tall are you?
    edited November -1
    I am 5'11" so pretty average size. The handle is quite long though.
    With the attachment screwed on its almost to my shoulders in height.
    This isn't so bad but those driving small vehicles will find this a bit of strain fitting into a compact trunk. I was just thinking that if the height was a bit shorter then one could carry it easier and would fit in smaller spaces. Would also make it easier to use and control with one hand.
    But I will say that it is better to be too long then too short. At least you can cut it down to a more comfortable size to fit your needs.
    Some might choose for it to be long to grab brass behind tables... Just never know.

Anyway, That is the long and short of it all! HA!

Brad
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I wonder how many of us have been told by our doctors to get more exercise ?[:0][:D]
    edited November -1
    I choose to exercise by loading my firearms. HA!

Brad
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Every range should have these!
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks for that update clownboy.. I have a bday coming up so I will throw that one out there as a suggestion! [:D]
    edited November -1
    Most welcome. I hope you have a wonderful Bday and get all you ask for!

Brad
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not just use a brass magnet?>[;)]
    edited November -1
    Well, if you insist on a magnet then here you go.
    Might find the second link looks familiar. [:D]

http://www.brassmagnet.com/page1.aspx
    http://www.drazymetalworks.com/servlet/the-69/Brass-Magnet/Detail
  • GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • txingatxinga Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try bubca.com or see it on youtube its a net and suports that folds down in to a ammo can