In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do I adjust iron sights on new Marlin 1894?

The owner of the gunshop/shooting range where I shoot is sort of a crotchety old type. He has insisted on taking my gun in the back room and making all the adjustments. We are chasing the sights all over the targets!

I was a machinist and think I can handle the job. I fully understand the princibles of; move the rear sight in the same direction you want the bullet impact to move and, vicee versee for the front sight. The question is HOW do I move them? Do you drive them over with a punch? The owner's manual says nothing on sight adjustment.

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this must be a trick question as i nave never seen a new firearm that needed windage adjustment.now as far as chasing all over the target, sounds like yor friend is using a 12# sledge and 2 ft bar for adjustment.us a small brass drift and light hammer and tap lightly.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From your note it sounds like your doing the "shoot one and adjust" thing, STOP IT. The first thing you need to do is determine the average group size with the ammo your using, and weather a different ammo will produce better groups (this may take a second, known good shooter, to determine as we don't know whot your capabilities are). Now that we know what ammo your rifle likes, buy a bunch of that lot # and than we can start playing with the sights.

From a soft rest under the forearm and butt (NOT under tha barrel) fire a 5 shot group, using the same aiming point for each shot.
    Now, calculate the distance from the center of the group to the aiming point in both directions (vertical only and horz only).
    The amount you have to move the sight is calculated the same as setting a sine plate angle (keep everything in inches BTW) 50yd to the target = 1800" 18" between the sights is a 100:1 ratio. You say you need to move the impact point 5", than adjust the sight .050. After each adjustment is made, fire another group, and recalculate the center point before proceding any further.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    "From your note it sounds like your doing the "shoot one and adjust" thing, STOP IT." My exact though!!!! Shooters error alone is enough to keep you chasing sights all day if you are doing this. The thing is I can't believe how many shooters actually do this. Some even offhand[:0]. Many will look at me crazy like [:0]when I fire 3 or 5 shot groups without stopping to make adjustments after each shot. Many have to have the "best ammo" that can be bought but don't take the effort to sight it in properly.[V]
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass punch and light taps definately the way to go. Not sure if this is your problem, but on occasion I've encountered sights that were way to loose in dovetail. When this is the problem it is hard to adjust just a bit one way or the other. If the looseness is extreme a very thin piece of brass shim stock in the base of the cutout may tighten things up for you. If there isn't enough room for that I've had good luck removing the sight and with a pin punch raising a series of craters on the bottom of the sight where it meets the bottom of the dovetail. You can get the same effect by raising the metal on the barrel the same way. Whenever possible though, I prefer to work on the cheapest and/or least complicated part of machine. Rather be banging on a $20.00 sight than a $200.00 barrel.
    Good luck.