In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 ACP Tapered Crimp Die

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
After more than a few years I've finally gotten to the point where I want to explore the use of the tapered crimping die in the ACP.
I've loaded rifle and pistol for many years and have a pretty good handle on standard crimps; when they're needed, when not, and how to adjust the dies.
Not so with the .45. Any tips on die adjustment?
Thanks,

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    One of the main things to do is measure the case as you crimp it untill you have the dimension you are looking for. I use the taper crimp die mostly on lead target loads for the 45 acp. This really helps with cast or swaged lead bullets when you are using a pistol with a match barrel.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So how much am I looking for? max I can get and still have round headspace on front of brass? Something short of that? Case reduction down to bottom of bullet?
    Thanks!!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My C&H Taper crimp helps with accuracy and feeding by a good margin. I set it to smooth the case around the bullet. On lead bullets there is a few thousandths of indent showing right at the case mouth. The case only needs enough lip to engage the chamber edge ensuring proper headspace. Too much taper crimp may dig the case into the bullet deep enough to lose contact with the chamber lip.

When using the taper crimp set the seating die to seat the bullet only. Let the taper crimp close the bell on the case mouth. It will then make very consistent ammo.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the advanage of a taper crimp die is you dont have to worry about varying case lenght . with a roll crip you work the case mouth more so cases tend to split sooner . Most of the bulls-eye shooters load a long nose 185grain semi wadcutter hollow point or 200 grain long nose "H&G 68bevel base" type bullet such as those made by STAR we load 1.240 OAL and the taper crimp to .469 or .470 at the very end of the case mouth . If you hold two cases up touching each other one case head up and the other case head down and hold up to the light IMHO the case mouth is JUST a "RCH" inside of being flush . In a ransom rest too much crimp can cause larger groups. I have been loading 7000 - 10000 45 acp each year for the last 35+ years and done a BUNCH of testing on a ransom rest.You win a match at 50 yards with good pistol and ammo and you lose a match in timed and rapid fire at 25 yards with poor shooting on the shooters part."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"