In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45-70 load for a trap door

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
Need some confirmation and advice on this. I have been loading 45-70 for my trap door rifle using Accurate Arms 5744 at 25.6 grains as specified. Works very well. Bullet is 420 grains but I am going to drop to 405 and see what that does. Last week I picked up a 45-70 trap door carbine. With that load it is somewhat punishing. My understanding is that, back in the day, they dropped the load from 70 grains to 50 for recoil reduction. (don't blame them) Am I correct in going to 18.3 grains of 5744 for the carbine? Any other advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Trail Boss powder would recoil less.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jonk:

Thanks for the info. I am new to this so could you give me some specifics?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Sure thing. I have never used XMP 5744 but heard it was a good choice for old blackpowder cartridges, and reducing it should pose no problem. Trail boss was specifically designed for old west style cartridges, and 12 to 14 gr. behind a 405 bullet pushes downrange at about 800 to 1000 fps, and is mild compared to some powders out there.

The trick with smokless in old blackpowder cases is finding a powder that will ignite and burn properly with so much free space, not cause too much pressure, and not have a problem with a heavy bullet. The standby powders and those I would recommend would be Trail Boss, 5744, IMR 4198, perhaps 3031 with ballistic filler, and possibly also 2400 or SR4759.

If you are so inclined, I'd try blackpowder as well; in my opinion, it shoves, more than kicks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for the info. Most appreciated.