In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22 for target

joe b13joe b13 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
what,s a good .22 for competition shooting (bullseye) without breacking my wallet.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Ruger is the only one.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Weird...

I posted the same reply and now I can't find it.

I love my MKII.

Buckmark has it's fans, as well.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Ruger 22/45 MKII. Just bought a Beretta Neos .22 and I love that so far(have only got to shoot it once so far though). Accuracy wasn't quite as good as I can get with my Ruger though.

Jon
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    older High Standard ,Kart or Marvel conversion unit on your 1911 Frame ,Browning Buckmark , Rugers are great but the pits to take down to clean. and all but the PLASTIC[:(] frame 22/45 have the wrong Grip style if you want to shoot a 1911 Also.
  • CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always shot High Standard in Navy competition (1970's through 1990's), and they did quite well, but I like the Rugers too. Yes, pain in the posterior to take down and clean, but Rugers shoot good clean or somewhat dirty, to a greater degree. I would personally stay away from the lower priced S&W models.

CC
  • Kari PragerKari Prager Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two favorites in my pistol box from the few years that I shot competitively are a heavy barrel Smith Model 41 .22, and a Hi Standard Victor .22 accurized by Bob Chow (San Francisco).
    I would look at picking up an earlier used pistol that was accurized by a will-known gunsmith, probably just as nice now as when it was new. There's a lot to be said for buying a nice used gun from a reputable shooter. I've bought several over the years and never had as good results from a new gun as from one of these. if you find one, ask PerryShooter about it.
    Kari Prager
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    Weird...

I posted the same reply and now I can't find it.

I love my MKII.

Buckmark has it's fans, as well.

Buckmarks are good guns very un-upgradeable Rugers IMO the best starter gun, you can buy the wood target grips for a MKII-III but not the 22/45

My next one will be a high standard or a S&W model 41

**NOTE Remington has announced they will discontinue the model 41 at the end of this yr
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    If you gotta have CHEAP; try to find a S&W 2206. Hardly anyone has seen one, and most are sold very cheaply due to the lack of knowledge among shooters. 12-rd. mag, mag release in the center of the grip, great sights, torqueable barrel tension, all stampings that make it look like some cheap * copy of a Model 41. Yhe bore is in line with the wrist for better recoil resistance, and it cleans easier than my KMKGCT678(MKII Gov't. Comp. Tgt.).
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    cz 452/ cz 511 [;)] sako finfire varmint ![:p]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standards come standard with great overtravel-adjustable match triggers, match sights, and are easy to strip and clean.

Out of the box, its a far better gun than any production Ruger. Sure, you can upgrade the Ruger with match trigger, etc, but you may not get that money back if (ie when) you decide to sell the gun later and move onto something better.

High Standards have only been getting more expensive, and if you buy a decent one, and don't abuse it, you won't lose money on it if you decide to sell it later.

In terms of "wallet breaking" while not particularly cheap, you can still have one for about (or maybe less than) the price of a Smith 41 match pistol.
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    This is how I did it>>>> my 3 cents
    I was young with little money and I knew that when I get started on this thing I would wear that gun out before I got good at it.
    So I went looking, and I found a used HI-Standard, at that time Hi-Standard was top gun BUT I did not know that HI-Standard had shallow lands and a weak spot on the left side of the frame. WELL, about 10 to 15 thousands round later I had flat lands at the end of the barrel and to my surprise I had a cracked frame. I was sick,,,what am I going to do now, I liked this gun and I got good at it until fliers and jams started to occur. So I went to the range and I said that, AHH! I think I'll give up shooting and see if I can sell my gun, and take up fishing (why I said fishing I'll never know, because i hate fishing)
    So I got a lot of offers because I was at that time a pretty good shot already. So,, I sold my gun, without telling anything[:0]I lied,, I was dishonest and this bugged me[V] but it happened and i was sorry and I had my money and i was persistent to be the best and I needed a gun to hold up even if i have to go to Hell. (Thank God I have a ticket to heaven)
    I found a used S&W 41,but it did not feel right and it didn't shoot like the HS. BUT it was built to take the punishment that I was going to give it. So I trained with it for years until good fortune came along and i bought the top gun of the planet.
    SO I WOULD SAY MY 1ST PICK WOULD BE A RUGER ( CHEAPER THAN THE 41)
    trainload.jpg

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING A LONG TIME AND DID MY SHARE OF COMPETITION SHOOTING. THE HI-STANDARD THAT I'M DESCRIBING IS A GREAT GUN BUT IT IS NOT A WORK HORSE. IN MY YEARS DEALING WITH HS'S I SEEN A LOT OF CRACKED FRAMES. TO THIS DAY I STILL HAVE SOME OLD FRAMES LAYING AROUND THAT COMPETITION SHOOTERS BROUGHT IN TO TRADE. THIS ONE THAT I'M POSTING WAS A WELD JOB THAT WENT BAD BY ONE OF THE BEST .22 CAL SHOOTERS IN THE USA.
    [img]HTTP://USERA.IMAGECAVE.COM/SOOOWHAT/GUN.JPG[/img]
    [img]HTTP://USERA.IMAGECAVE.COM/SOOOWHAT/HSDIA.JPG[/img]

22pistol.jpg

Hi perry, I'm going to fight with u now [:D]

I never seen a Hi-Standard with that kind of longevity
    I would be willing to bet if U took a close inspection of that frame U would see cracks
    If U look at this next photo and imagine the constant hammering of the slide pumping 20,000 plus standard velocity rounds on a frame with 1/3 of the (support) rail missing with a paper thin section on the most vital part of the frame. I can see this happening if they do not know about it, U can shoot a gun with a cracked frame and never know about it untill it get's so bad that it will be uncontollably noticeable.
    I don't know if the other gun makers corrected this flaw, I'm going back in the 60's with is info. so don't take me serious, it's only my 3cts talk [:D].

gun11.jpg
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weak spot on the left side of the frame? A new one to me. Interested in more information. What actually lets go?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Most of the cracked frames came about from shooting HIGH VELOCITY and STINGER type AMMO The crack IMHO poses no danger to the shooter but rather causes function trouble I have been shooting H.S. for 40 years and Have a number of High standards from a model B up to the ones that has MD as part of the serial number. Never had one of mine crack and at one time shot between 15,000 and 20,000 rounds a year. I have also had a Hammerli 208s and for the $1800.00 + when I bought mine years ago I think it is over priced YES they DO shoot good groups 1/2 to 3/4 inch 30 shot groups at 50 yards compared to 3/4 to 7/8 inch groups from many of my High Standards as well as Karts and my friends S&W model 41's all from ransom rest. HOWEVER I had to replace the HAMMER SPRING every 2000 rounds when using factory springs[:(!] "LIGHT FIRING PIN HIT" they collapsed more then 1/8 inch in OAL I expected better from almost $2000.00 I had 25 Custom springs made from the same steel as auto VALVE SPRINGS and never had another problem may be even the SWISS cut corners and get some things from the cheapest vender [V]
  • EGLOCK35EGLOCK35 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Beretta 87T and love it. I shoot it as well as my buddies S&W 41. The Snith guys well kill me for saying that. I have had Rugers and Brownings also.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger Standard from 1971. Pencil bbl. Has had at least 5 footlockers full of standard velocity run thru it, still shoots better than I do. Paid $38 at the PX. Yes, there are better match weapons- for a LOT more money. Shop around for an older used Ruger, go for the bull barrel. Learn how to take down for cleaning (once you learn, will take you 30 seconds.) Buckmark is not bad, just not as good (IMHO) Yes, the Smiths and Hammerli's are marvelous- so are Diana Grade Browning Shotguns, Merkels, and Purdys. A lot of us would rather spend the difference in price on something else. Like ammo.
  • targetsigtargetsig Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SIG Trailside by Hammerli with 6" barrel and adjustable iron sight
    with the following modifications:
    Competition trigger
    X-Esse Competition grip
    Red Dot sight
    Aluminum barrel wieght
    Lots of extra magazines
    It's a tack driver
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by targetsig
    Competition trigger
    X-Esse Competition grip
    Red Dot sight
    Aluminum barrel wieght
    Lots of extra magazines
    It's a tack driver

To my knowledge they are not making these anymore, and the ones that are around had feeding problems, If you want to shoot match in which yours score will be turned into the NRA you will want a gun that functions flawlessly.

I did as wallie said, I had a ruger 22/45 and put $100 bucks into it (trigger, sight rail) and have shot it weekly for a yr now.

My best score is 873 shot a little over a month ago.

I shot my first regional qualifier (22lr only) last week and shot a dismal 795 [V] that goes back to what I said about having a gun that will function flawlessly.

I shot 4 alibi strings and probably lost 50 points easy as the first four that did go off the first time were 10's and X's. you never shoot as good the second time around (brain gets in the way)

Next time a match come to town (7/28/08) you can bet i will have the ruger soaking in break free a day or two prior to shooting that match.

All the bad shooting aside it was for the best as it will set me up in a lower class for the next match (Co State Match). I will try my hand at a 2700 at this next match and get my * kicked but what the heck!
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i have the Ruger mkII target and an old browning NOMAD 22.

for me the browning out shoots my mkII with any ammo i take
    edited November -1
    "and the ones that are around had feeding problems"

This is totally untrue. Not sure how this BS got started. Not considering this pistol is a mistake in my opinion. For once I would like someone to prove to me that there is anything wrong with these pistols. Mine will shoot smaller than 1" groups at 50 meters from a rest. Can anyone beat that with the pistols mentioned so far in this thread? If so, let's hear it? I'm not afraid to be proven wrong, but I just think the Trailside is one of the best target pistols ever made. Not far behind Hammerli, Pardini, etc. I have never had feeding problems after 1000s of rounds fired. Limp wristing can make even the best pistol act up. Maybe that's the problem some people have with these guns. But then they would have trouble using any pistol wouldn't they? Check out Larry's Guns (http://www.larrysguns.com). Call them or email them and ask them what they think. They sell the best pistols available and support Trailside probably better than anyone out there. Joe B13, I would disregard the disparaging remarks about the trailside and check them out.

quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    quote:Originally posted by targetsig
    Competition trigger
    X-Esse Competition grip
    Red Dot sight
    Aluminum barrel wieght
    Lots of extra magazines
    It's a tack driver

To my knowledge they are not making these anymore, and the ones that are around had feeding problems, If you want to shoot match in which yours score will be turned into the NRA you will want a gun that functions flawlessly.

I did as wallie said, I had a ruger 22/45 and put $100 bucks into it (trigger, sight rail) and have shot it weekly for a yr now.

My best score is 873 shot a little over a month ago.

I shot my first regional qualifier (22lr only) last week and shot a dismal 795 [V] that goes back to what I said about having a gun that will function flawlessly.

I shot 4 alibi strings and probably lost 50 points easy as the first four that did go off the first time were 10's and X's. you never shoot as good the second time around (brain gets in the way)

Next time a match come to town (7/28/08) you can bet i will have the ruger soaking in break free a day or two prior to shooting that match.

All the bad shooting aside it was for the best as it will set me up in a lower class for the next match (Co State Match). I will try my hand at a 2700 at this next match and get my * kicked but what the heck!
    edited November -1
    TARGETSIG,

I only mentioned the Beretta 87T, Rugers and Browning Buckmarks because that what I own. I, unfortunately have never owned or shot a Sig 22. Also, what do you think about the Sig Mosquito?
    edited November -1
    there must be a reason that sig stopped importing them in 2005??

weather it a feeding problem, the trigger breaking, or the fact that once they were discontinued both sig and hamerlli completely stopped supporting the model. sig told people to call hamerlli, hamerlli told people to call sig [xx(]

All the above have been sighted as reasons why not to buy a sig trailside. Hey to each their own.

google trailside discontinued and you will find 300 pages of first hand accounts and other similar literature. every gun ever made will have some bad press, some more than others

targetsig

you must have lucked out and got a good one [;)]

Joe b13
    good luck let us know what you decide
  • Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you asking about rifle or pistol?[?]
    Keeping the price down? Let's see....[8D]
    Rifle: Remington 513t, 513S, 512 (Target Master or Match Master)[^]
    Mossberg 146

Pistol: Ruger MKII
    Colt Woodsman ???

I use a 513S in offhand indoor 22 shoots and indoor benchrest with a Simmons 6x24x50 AO I have about $240 in all. Click on the link below. [^]

http://mysite.verizon.net/resto1l5/jimthepahunterswebpages/id4.html
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Sig Mosquito yesterday. Very fun gun to shoot.
    edited November -1
    joe another thing to keep in mind

You can buy a pawn shop special ruger mkII some can be had as little a 75$ the barrels are junk but the frame is usually in good shape then you can build a target 22 put another $350 into it barrel, trigger, grip, scope and you will have one heck of a target pistol It would be a much better gun than what you could have in an out of the box ruger or buckmark
  • rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Ruger MKII. My boss has 2 Wather p22's and he likes them. It is really up to you, what fits you the best as with any gun.
  • rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy the S&W model 41s. They have been in production since 1959 & they are very accurate. On the bottom of the barrel they are stamped as tested from the factory with a 1 thru 7 which denotes how accurate that gun fired at testing. The numbers are in 10ths of an inch meaning if the barrel has a 5 on it it shot .5" of an inch grouping. I have had one for many years and the only issue i had was a plastic support piece at the back of the recoil spring will wear out over time. I called S&W & they sent me 6 of them.
    My second choice would be Ruger because of low cost & easy upgrades but make sure you learn the tricks to assembly & tear down.
    edited November -1
    I took a S&W model 41 I just bought on GB and my Sig Trailside (TS)(see above) to the range last weekend. I think both were equals in the precision department (at 25 yards with a 5+ mph crosswind I was able to get similar results). I had an ultradot 1X scope on the 41 and had iron sights on the TS (and I admit I am more familiar with my TS), but the 41 stove-piped a few times with the PMC target rounds and the high higher velocity Eley Standard Rifle rounds (the PMC rounds I used are what I would call "very standard velocity" at approximatly 900 FPS while the Eley rounds were probably too waxy). All the rounds I tried worked just fine in the Trailside (PMC, Eley, CCI Blazer, Federal Gold Match). Odawagp is right that I did get (or perhaps make) an exceptionally good TS target pistol. I like both of these pistols, and for the average novice bulleye shooter (myself included), both are terrific guns, but for the money (and the idea here is to not break the bank) I would still go with a TS, at least to start with. I think you can get a used TS (6" barrel) for around $400 while a used 41 will be in around $650.